Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Advanced/High Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Question for Dan and anyother bodybuilding men (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186502)

Chipperoo Mon, May-24-04 09:04

Question for Dan and anyother bodybuilding men

K, Dan, what's the scoop on body hair removal. I mean, like "you know", what's the best in your opinion and/or what's affordable (self serve as opposed to "full service"). Come on now, dudes, I want the full story :)

corianin Mon, May-24-04 09:45

Not a guy but got an opinion anyhow!

LOL! I'm not a guy but had to check out this thread just to see what other guys had to say. Though I'm not a guy I'm going to give you my 2 cents anyhow. I know my hubby uses an electric razor to remove body hair, then a straight razor to get it down to the skin. He tried wax ONCE. That was one time too many he claims. Wuss :)

fridayeyes Mon, May-24-04 10:18

Wax alone - takes some learning to do yourself and/or a friend for hard to reach areas. Very smooth. Fewer nicks/ingrown hairs than shaving, at least in my experience.

Nair only - very smooth. Be careful about scent as "tea rose' probably won't suit you. Test an inconspicuous spot to check possible chemical allergy. Can leave it on for up to 10 mins for stubborn spots. Least chance for ingrown hairs. IMHO, try Nair alone and see how you like it. You can find an 'aloe' scent if you look.

Wax followed by Nair - lasts several days to a week. My preferred choice.

Assorted shaving - has to be maintained almost every day, Nicks/ingrown hairs are common and look bad.

Laser - expensive and or not available in every market - but baby smooth forever, forever as in "permanent".

EpilStop - do NOT use. Many reports of chemical burns.

EpiLady and other "rip it out" devices - well, after you peel yourself off the cieling.... take the thing back and spend the money on ice packs and a bottle of Nair.

*grins*

Cheers,

Friday

Chipperoo Mon, May-24-04 10:24

Should have figured the gals would be the ones with the info. on this one :)

mps Mon, May-24-04 15:12

Well... here is my 2 cents.
Razors take time and you have to do it something like every other day or you'll get 'prickly'. And they have the nasty effect of leaving red spots (on me at least).
An electric face razor is probably the way to go, but I have not tried this yet.
This works well for me: Electric hair clippers with no attachment. Sure it's not as close a cut as a razor, but it's fast, leaves no red marks, and you will probably find you only have to use it a couple times per week. Also if you were going to use a razor, I'd use this first... makes the job easier.
Hope this helps...

fridayeyes Mon, May-24-04 15:44

Good point, btw. If you want a smooth look and don't have to have a totally smooth feel, the clippers might be fine. Close up pics under strong light will catch the stubble tho. Razor burn sucks. Electric face razors - on longer hair they can pull a bit. Since it's your razor, it's cool, but otherwise, woe to the woman who steals hubby's electric to shave her legs is what I've heard. ;)

Cheers,

Friday

RoseTattoo Mon, May-24-04 16:27

I want to be around when a man tries body waxing, lol. They always accuse us of being such wimps. :D

doogieb Tue, May-25-04 02:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTattoo
I want to be around when a man tries body waxing, lol. They always accuse us of being such wimps. :D

I tried to get my head waxed once......... first strip off and my fingernails were in the carpet, second strip and I almost hooked the person doing it....

Now I just use an electric face razor on my head :)

dtadpole Tue, May-25-04 03:55

Was looking through the new Mens Health and found an add for Nair for men. Think I might try this! check it out! Nair For Men!

DJ7 Tue, May-25-04 06:38

Be careful with the Nair products. They left me with a lot of skin irritation. I have used Magic Cream Shave Razorless Beard Remover. It is made for your face, so it is gentler on the skin, but works great on body hair. I leave it on for about 6-7 minutes; gently wipe it off, then shower to remove the residue. I get it at Walmart or Walgreens. It is not as expensive as some of the other hair removal products I have seen on the market. The results last about 3-4 days … much better than shaving.

-- DJ

jemman Tue, May-25-04 15:32

cant help but imagine the burning sensation nair must cause on testicles OUCH!

Built Tue, May-25-04 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemman
cant help but imagine the burning sensation nair must cause on testicles OUCH!

Oh, yeah. I'm sure WAXING there would be MUCH more pleasant, hey?

doogieb Wed, May-26-04 02:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
Oh, yeah. I'm sure WAXING there would be MUCH more pleasant, hey?

Compared to nicks from a razor?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Carina8 Wed, May-26-04 16:49

this thread started out to be intresting... not it's just... well... painful!!

fridayeyes Wed, May-26-04 16:56

Re: Nair and delicate bits....

Put vaseline on the places you don't want the Nair to go. If you're really, truly freaked about getting Nair somewhere, stick Saran Wrap to the vaseline. The colored Saran Wrap is more fun than the plain ol' clear stuff, too.

There, is it interesting again?

Cheers,

Friday