Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   PCOS (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   New Diagnosis, Metformin 1 week = 3lbs loss (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=459265)

cisnerica Tue, Apr-01-14 16:47

New Diagnosis, Metformin 1 week = 3lbs loss

Hello All,

I am new to this forum so I'd like to introduce myself.

I'm 38 y/o. I was recently (a week ago) diagnosed with PCOS after countless doctors visits over the last 3 years trying to determine why I could not lose weight. I started CrossFit a year ago today, but before that I was a runner. I stuck to healthy diet and worked out 5-6 days a week, but never had any progress. In fact, I had slow weight gain!

After 2 years of TTC with my husband, a testicular cancer survivor, there were some extra tests done on me by my Reproductive Endocrinologist and after ordering all the RIGHT tests and asking all the RIGHT questions, she determined I had PCOS and put me immediately on 1,500mg of Metformin.

I've been on it a week today, and I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 3 pounds from my last weigh in at the doctor's office. I still continue to CrossFit and sticking to a low carb/high protein/high fat diet.

DH and I have decided to hold off a few months on TTC so that I can drop some weight.

I'm excited to see what the meds along with my diet and exercise regimen will do in the next months!

:wave:

Namaste! Sun, Apr-06-14 19:10

Welcome! Unfortunately, this section of the forum doesn't see a whole lot of action :(

MPrufrock Mon, Jan-26-15 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisnerica
Hello All,

I am new to this forum so I'd like to introduce myself.

I'm 38 y/o. I was recently (a week ago) diagnosed with PCOS after countless doctors visits over the last 3 years trying to determine why I could not lose weight. I started CrossFit a year ago today, but before that I was a runner. I stuck to healthy diet and worked out 5-6 days a week, but never had any progress. In fact, I had slow weight gain!

After 2 years of TTC with my husband, a testicular cancer survivor, there were some extra tests done on me by my Reproductive Endocrinologist and after ordering all the RIGHT tests and asking all the RIGHT questions, she determined I had PCOS and put me immediately on 1,500mg of Metformin.

I've been on it a week today, and I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 3 pounds from my last weigh in at the doctor's office. I still continue to CrossFit and sticking to a low carb/high protein/high fat diet.

DH and I have decided to hold off a few months on TTC so that I can drop some weight.

I'm excited to see what the meds along with my diet and exercise regimen will do in the next months!

:wave:

Hi, I have PCOS and take 1000 mg of Metformin currently. I was taking 2000 mg till I went low carb, after which my doctor was able to drop my dose to an amount that was comfortable for me. In the last 7 months I've lost nearly 40 pounds. Some may say this is slow loss but I'm very happy. I'm not planning to TTC until I finish my PhD in two years but apparently this will keep my body in good shape for that in the future.

I think you're on the right track. I would, if I may, suggest low carb/moderate protein/high fat so you can avoid kidney stones. Best of luck on the diet and whenever you decide to TTC again. :)

Nancy LC Mon, Jan-26-15 08:59

I know Crossfit people can get VERY into exercising, so you might want to ask your doctor about that. Let them know how much you're exercising. I do know if you go too crazy with it you can wreck your fertility.

MPrufrock Mon, Jan-26-15 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I know Crossfit people can get VERY into exercising, so you might want to ask your doctor about that. Let them know how much you're exercising. I do know if you go too crazy with it you can wreck your fertility.

I think you're making an interesting larger point. But unless she exercises to a point when she becomes a female athlete with a BMI of under 20 and 10% body fat, I don't think this will be a problem. In fact, weighing more has a higher risk than weighing less.

http://journals.lww.com/epidem/Abst...ulatory.13.aspx