Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Nutrition & Supplements (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Apple Cider Vinegar (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=465380)

gel0507 Fri, Feb-06-15 09:14

Apple Cider Vinegar

Anyone out there take ACV daily? I know I can't use the name brand on here - but it's the one with the monther in it. I tried some last night and I drank it straight like out of a shot glass and thought I was going to die. It burned my throat so bad. My throat still hurts today - like I scalded the lining or something. So I tried again this morning and diluted it in water. Still horrible but at least no burning. Before I continue to torture myself - I am seeking encouragement from folks who use ACV.

What has been your experience? Please share both the benefits and side effects (if there are any). Thanks

JEY100 Fri, Feb-06-15 09:22

Yuck! No, no ..don't take it straight! Dilute it in water :)
Although the Internet will claim hundreds of benefits, I take it to reduce blood sugar, for which there are a number of valid studies. 1-2T in at least a cup of water before dinner or near bedtime.

There are many threads on it all over this forum. Here's a recent one in diabetes:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=461990

Advance Search ACV or vinegar to find others.

Zuleikaa Fri, Feb-06-15 09:36

Poor, you!!! Never drink it straight!!!

You put a tablespoon or two in water and drink it like that.

Lessara Fri, Feb-06-15 10:30

Lol I don't have the "mother" but rather the clear and I drink it by the cap load. No burn. But probably because I used to eat chips and fries with vinager, love the stuff.

WereBear Fri, Feb-06-15 10:50

My lifetime love of pickles has been vindicated.

gel0507 Fri, Feb-06-15 11:15

How fantastic - thanks for the links. I can never seem to get this search to return anything for me. I'm sure it's user error - but the link is much appreciated. You are all so helpful. God Bless :wave:

JEY100 Fri, Feb-06-15 12:53

Tap search this forum or thread. Ignore the search box that comes up, it has been disabled, but right below that, click Advanced Search. Then a Google search box shows up already limited to this site. Use that, but watch the dates...you will dig up ancient threads. Three pages worth on vinegar.

DeannaK Fri, Feb-06-15 12:57

I no longer do broth daily, but if I get a bit of a headache, feel the need for salt or even just a pick me up, I heat 2 cups of water to nearly boiling, add 2 beef bouillon cubes, a little butter and good splash of ACV....it's yummy and does something miraculous in the broth!!

Sorry about the raw throat -
Deanna

doreen T Fri, Feb-06-15 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gel0507
Anyone out there take ACV daily? I know I can't use the name brand on here - but it's the one with the monther in it.

hi there gel0507,

Folks have offered some great tips about ACV :thup:. I just wanted to let you know that it's okay at our forum to mention a "brand name", as long as it's not a promotion or you don't sell it or otherwise affiliated (eg. referrer codes, etc).

Two brands of organic ACV with the "mother" that I can find readily in health food stores or a large grocery with health food section are .. Bragg's and Omega Nutrition. I've used and enjoyed both, whenever they're on sale ;)

hth :rose:

Doreen

uberfat Sun, Apr-26-15 05:35

i am using it to marinate my chicken, and it is also fantastic for lamb meat full of fat.

lkelley36 Mon, Jul-20-15 11:16

I used to drink it like below, without the honey. It is supposed to be a detox.

1 glass filtered water

2 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar

2 tbsp organic lemon juice

1 tsp organic Ceylon cinnamon

1 tbsp raw honey

cshepard Mon, Jul-20-15 14:25

I take some powdered supplements disolved in water - DE, bentonite clay, and gelatin for joint repair - and add apple cider vinegar plus some pink salt to make it all more palatable! To me it is very broth-like once you develop the perfect mix.