Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   coconut bark (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=265378)

goldfish Tue, Sep-06-05 05:42

coconut bark recipe anyone?

What the heck is coconut bark anyway?? And could you please post your recipe?
Thanks!!

Rheneas Tue, Sep-06-05 09:05

Chocolate Bark

4 T. (1/4 Cup) Virgin Coconut Oil
1-1.5 T. Cocoa Powder
2 oz. nuts (optional)
1/4 t. low-carb sweetener, such as stevia or xylitol

Melt the coconut oil to a liquid, add in cocoa powder and sweetener. Stir to combine and blend well.

Blend nuts into chocolate mixture. (optional)

Have chilled a metal bakeware lasagna or cake pan or pans in freezer for ten minutes or so. Remove from freezer and line with waxed paper. Then pour mixture into chilled pan and spread to desired thickness.

Pop it in refrigerator or freezer on level shelf and let it sit 10 minutes or so. It will harden quickly and breaks with a snap.

Enjoy but don't get carried away, too much coconut oil all at once can make you feel queasy.

goldfish Wed, Sep-07-05 15:13

thanks so much!

Bellina Wed, Sep-07-05 17:10

Wish someone would of warned me about being queasy........wow did I learn the hard way! What a sore stomach I had! Live and learn I guess:)

Vanya:daizy:

LadyBelle Wed, Sep-07-05 18:06

I do it without the nuts.

Melt some coconut oil in a pan, mix in some sweetner and cocoa. then shreded, unsweetened coconut. spread out in a pan, thin if you can and refridgerate.

The best oil and unsweetened coconut I've found is from wildernessfamily naturals. Their coconut has a drying process that makes it taste just like candy

www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com

Birddog Tue, Feb-13-07 13:51

This sound great. I going to try this tonight. :yum:

CNYMom Tue, Feb-13-07 14:11

Maybe I'll try this again, then. I tried it awhile back, but all the splenda I used kind of fizzed onto the top, and some of the bark tasted ok, but other parts of it tasted like toasted death. It was not a pleasant experience. People keep raving about it, though, so maybe I'll give it another shot. Hey, if we're snowed in tomorrow, it's one more thing I can cook!

BetsyJ64 Thu, Feb-15-07 12:05

CNYMom - I had that same problem with the Splenda "fizzing" at the top! I put them into ice cube trays as one poster suggested. I thought I did something wrong because of the weird texture.

CNYMom Thu, Feb-15-07 12:43

Hmm.... I actually don't have ice cube trays, but I have chocolate molds. Maybe I'll try putting those to good use, rather than evil :lol:

ruthla Tue, Mar-18-08 21:10

ooh, this sounds good! I'll have to give this recipe a try.

ElleH Wed, Mar-19-08 12:39

I use half unsalted butter and half CO to make mine. Never had the splenda fizz, I use one packet and I add it just after melting, stir, then add the cocoa, stir. I also keep stirring in between filling my candy molds.

jpatti Wed, Mar-19-08 13:14

I have two recipes.

Peanut butter cups: melt 1/2 cup coconut oil and 4 TB unsalted natural peanut butter; stir in 3 TB cocoa and sweetener equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar (8 packets); nuke again and stir some more to mix thoroughly; pour into 12 foil muffin cups and freeze until firm. 2g total carb, 2g protein, 75 calories each.

Flavored coconut bark: melt 1/2 cup coconut oil; stir in 2 TB cocoa and 2 TB DaVinci and nuke for 30 seconds; pour into 4 foil muffin cups and freeze until firm. 1g total carb, 1g protein, 239 calories each.

The flavored ones are particularly good made with raspberry, orange, kahlua or hazelnut syrups.

BetsyJ64 Thu, Mar-20-08 11:18

I do exactly what Elle does - 1/2 CO and 1/2 butter - b/c my stomach can't take the CO in doses like that. I also now use Sweetzfree instead of granular or packet Splenda. No more "fizzing" issues!! I've been making the PB Cup recipe from here with 1/2 CO and 1/2 butter, too. Very rich and very good! :thup:

KDenise Thu, Mar-20-08 12:07

Anyone know the carb count on this?

catsrus Wed, Jun-10-09 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatti
I have two recipes.

Peanut butter cups: melt 1/2 cup coconut oil and 4 TB unsalted natural peanut butter; stir in 3 TB cocoa and sweetener equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar (8 packets); nuke again and stir some more to mix thoroughly; pour into 12 foil muffin cups and freeze until firm. 2g total carb, 2g protein, 75 calories each.

Flavored coconut bark: melt 1/2 cup coconut oil; stir in 2 TB cocoa and 2 TB DaVinci and nuke for 30 seconds; pour into 4 foil muffin cups and freeze until firm. 1g total carb, 1g protein, 239 calories each.

The flavored ones are particularly good made with raspberry, orange, kahlua or hazelnut syrups.

When you use DaVinci syrup, does that take the place of other sweetner?