Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=424593)

Cerridwen Tue, Mar-08-11 15:02

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)

Hi There,
I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this. My understanding from what I've read is that you can lose more fat using this method then others. I currently am doing a 30 min circuit at the gym (5-7 days per week) a 20 min abs class 2-3 times per week. I have also been swimming 1.25-1.5km 3 times a week and doing Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred (Level 1, not everyday).
I have not been losing the fat as quickly as I would like. I know that I have gained muscle through my body composition tests, but I want that scale to go down. SIGNIFICANTLY :).
They say you can do HIIT on a treadmill, but if you are doing 6 sec at high intensity, then 9 sec at low, my treadmill would never do that. It takes 3-4 seconds to speed up. I suppose I could do in on the rowing machine, or maybe when I start running outside.
Anyone have any experience with this? Effective or not?
Cerridwen

chad1 Mon, Mar-14-11 12:49

I've been doing HIIT on the elliptical, it's easy to vary your intensity quickly. I usually do 30 seconds as fast as I can, and then slow and recover for 45 seconds.

I can do 16 of these cycles in a 20 minutes session. I 've been doing it for about 8 weeks now and have lost about a pound a week, but 3 inches around the waist. I do one session daily.

Touchstone Thu, Mar-24-11 10:08

Hi, Cerridwen. I am not sure about HIIT impact on body fat but it certainly makes my running more enjoyable. I started running intervals some time ago and went from 40 mins slow and boring jogging to 20 mins that leave me exhilarated and gasping for breath. The one I do is from Bill Phillips's Body for Life (I've never done anything else from that book, it's hard core weighlifting, but I picked up the intervals and I've stuck with them).

The workout is based on Perceived Rate of Exhaustion (PRE). You start at 2 mins at level 5 PRE (it can be anything from walking to a brisk jog, depending on individual fitness level, for me it is a veeeery slow jog), then run 1 min at level 6, 1 min each at level 7, 8 and 9, then you slow down to 1 min at 6, then 7, 8, 9, then two more times 1 min each at 6, 7, 8, 9. The last time after 9 you go up to 10 (all-out running for 1 min), then slow to level 5 for a minute to cool down. End of workout - it takes 20 mins and leaves me with a great runner's high.

The other one I do from time to time to mix things up is to warm up with 5 mins of slow run, then do 30 secs at a very fast tempo, then 1 min at half the speed, rinse and repeat from anything between 10 and 20 mins. I found this in Runner's World magazine and modified it a bit (they go too technical with the description of speed - race pace minus one and similar stuff that makes my eyes glaze).

P.S. I run outside - not sure whether you can do this on a treadmill.

Cerridwen Thu, Mar-24-11 10:39

Hey Touchstone,
Your workout certainly sounds doable on a treadmill. I will certainly give it a try. I would think for me a 5 PRE would be about 3.5mph, then 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5mph. With 6.5 being my all out run.
I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out!
Thanks,
C.

Touchstone Thu, Mar-24-11 21:24

Good luck, Cerridwen, I'd be curious to hear whether you enjoy intervals. Using PRE is usually good b/c it keeps one challenged as the level of fitness improves :)

Gemmafafen Mon, Jul-25-11 15:45

http://www.bodyrock.tv/

This website is free, the workouts are short and absolutely HIIT. The trainers are professionals and look AMAZING following their workouts and LC eating plan. I am starting tommorrow!

bethers04 Mon, Jan-23-12 08:12

Bodyrock is crazy! i love it!
I also just ordered Turbo fire! I'm sooo excited!
:agree:

C3Mauris Mon, Jan-21-13 00:35

HIIT is great. You don't have to do that much. Maybe high intensity for 30 secs then slow for 15 secs. Note You should not do HIIT or Tabatah in a treadmill , is not recommended. You can use elliptical machine, sprinting out side , or high intensity calistenics exercises at home.

BBQman Fri, Nov-20-15 05:27

I've been reading about this adopted it a couple weeks ago. I've read that if you're really doing it at the intensity you should be, you won't want to do it more than 3x/week. I currently am doing one bike HIIT routine and one weight HIT session per week.