Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Basic Vanilla Cookies (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=360961)

ElleH Sun, Jan-13-08 20:16

Basic Vanilla Cookies

I know something like this has been posted, but I thought I'd share my experience. I wanted to make a single serving and they were delicious. They texture was very cakey. I cannot get over how well almond flour performs in baked goods. I could see these as a base cookie for any number of variations like almond, lemon, etc and could be iced with a butter/heavy cream flavored icing as well. They would also be a great base for a strawberry shortcake. 7.5 g carbs with 3.3 g fiber, 4.2g net carbs for 3 cookies

1 ounce almond flour
2-3 packets of splenda (I used 3 but will try 2 next time)
dash baking powder
dash cream of tartar
1 TBL melted butter
1/4 - 1/2 of a beaten egg
dash vanilla

Mix well and drop onto greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes.

missymagoo Sun, Jan-13-08 20:52

i will have to try this recipe out some night. sue

rightnow Sun, Jan-13-08 22:34

Thanks Elle. My boyfriend is gluten intolerant, and tiramisu is his fave food. It uses these cookies that he can't have anymore. If I could find something that could be used as a substitute, that would be cool.

In the meantime, I can't wait to eat all the tiramisu-cookie-failures LOL.

ElleH Mon, Jan-14-08 15:55

I think that those cookies would make an excellent base for the tiramisu. Tiramisu is my favorite dessert also! I was actually thinking of that myself, but I'm already happy with the rev roll as a base for the tiramisu. The texture of the cookie will not be like the texture of the ladyfingers, the rev roll is actually closer to that texture, but I still think these cookies would make a good base as any kind of cake and there are recipes on the net for almond flour cakes! Let me know if you try it!

rdy2rde Tue, Jan-15-08 15:47

Without you thinking I'm totally dense, how much would '1 ounce' of almond flour measure out to be in a measuring cup?

Lisa

ElleH Tue, Jan-15-08 18:19

Oh, sorry, it's 1/4 C! ;)

rdy2rde Wed, Jan-16-08 08:47

Thanks Elle.

Lisa

Vajra Wed, Jan-16-08 19:46

Okay, yeah, these are amazing. YUM! And so quick and easy to make. Thank you!!!

Wifezilla Wed, Jan-16-08 20:02

I made something similar yesterday for my son. We are trying to give him low carb subs for his favorite snacks. I added a little unsweetened coconut to mine though. They tasted like the chinese restaurant almond cookies :D

ElleH Wed, Jan-16-08 21:13

My next trick (when I get some more weight off) is to try adding some of the unsweetened coconut to mine! :yum:

Hey, do you think if I put that unsweetened coconut in my FP, I can make coconut flour? It's dry, not moist, like the coconut you get in the grocery store.

Wifezilla Wed, Jan-16-08 22:31

I think so. Would be worth an experiment :D

BetsyJ64 Thu, Jan-17-08 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
Hey, do you think if I put that unsweetened coconut in my FP, I can make coconut flour? It's dry, not moist, like the coconut you get in the grocery store.

Someone who used to post on here, Cissie, used to do that all the time. She also used her Magic Bullet to make coconut flour from unsweetened coconut. I use coconut flour in place of almond flour all the time - love the taste & texture if gives. I'm not too fond of the grittiness of the almond flour.

mermaiden9 Thu, Jan-17-08 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
My next trick (when I get some more weight off) is to try adding some of the unsweetened coconut to mine! :yum:

Get some more weight off?? Your stats sound perfect, in fact you've gone sailing past goal.

Also, your cookies sound delicious so I'm going to make some today.
This might sound like a silly question, but would quarter of a teaspoon suffice for a dash?

Thanks ElleH

ElleH Thu, Jan-17-08 16:35

At 5 feet 6 and 150 pounds with a frame on the border between small and medium, I am still pretty overweight. I just set that goal as something that I could I might could reach--since being 150 pounds was the biggest I ever was when I was single. I would rather be in the mid to upper 130's, as I did achieve in Sept. I would love to be 130, which I consider to be my "ideal weight," but I've given up on that.

And even though my pictures at 144 look really good, 144 looks much better coming down than going up. I don't look that thin now, I assure you.

I just don't want to adjust my "goal" b/c I need to remember how far I've come and not how far I have to go! :) It's the only thing that keeps me going some days.

mermaiden9 Thu, Jan-17-08 20:35

I understand. We usually know what's right for our own bodies, although in my humble opinion you lookin' mighty fine!

Now about that dash of baking powder and Cream of tartar, I know I'm starting to sound pedantic but I want the best possible results for my delicious cookies. Would you say 1/4 teaspoon of each would be adequate?