Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Meat Delivery (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=477463)

LCdave Tue, Jun-13-17 12:44

Meat Delivery

Hi everyone, I am new to the boards and had a big weight loss some years ago and have kept it off to this very day.

I lost it by going low carb, then years later went vegan for a couple years, then pescetarian and now classic keto. Has anyone experienced an improvement with depression while doing a keto diet? I am hoping it will help me.

Also has anyone used a meat delivery service? I just got my first shipment from the Butcher Box and the meat is fantastic.

Well take care!

-Dave

:wave:

boopchick Tue, Jun-13-17 13:34

Hi Dave.

I am only 4 weeks in but have definitely noticed an improvement in my mental status. I've suffered from depression in varying degrees for much of my life. I haven't tried a meat delivery service but it sounds interesting. Hope you have a great day!

WereBear Tue, Jun-13-17 14:03

Many report improved mood with low carb of any kind. There's also a useful book, The Mood Cure, which has all kinds of great supplemental advice which can speed up the process.

I also started a thread on my own use of therapeutic niacin for anxiety:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476273

bkloots Thu, Jun-15-17 09:25

Impressive maintenance, Dave. Thanks for joining us.

Best wishes.

teaser Thu, Jun-15-17 18:30

By classic keto, do you mean 3:1, 4:1 ratio ketogenic diets as used in epilepsy? I'm currently aiming close to 3:1.

I have what would probably be diagnosed as something along the lines of schizo-affective bipolar disorder, with a side of social anxiety. More often than not, it's been the social anxiety I've had to deal with, but I've had some periods of serious psychosis, and decades where I had various forms of auditory hallucinations on a regular basis. The hearing voices stuff had already died down, but the voices disappeared entirely when I started eating more ketogenically, although I can't be certain that wasn't just a coincidence. I've noticed lately I'm getting a hint of them when listening to Freebird, but it's worth it. :lol:

I do get a mood lift from eating a ketogenic diet, and also a reduction in social anxiety, both in person and online. But it seems to be tied to caffeine, at least, the few times I've tried lowering my caffeine intake or even quitting caffeine, I've ended up down and back in my shell. I still do lower caffeine now and again just to restore sensitivity.

cotonpal Thu, Jun-15-17 19:12

For most of my life I suffered from clinical depression. Eating a very low carb diet has entirely alleviated this problem. It really is quite remarkable.

Jean

GRB5111 Thu, Jun-15-17 20:18

Welcome, Dave. Haven't tried a meat delivery service. I'll check out Butcher Box to see if it's in my area. All the best!

patriciakr Fri, Jun-16-17 07:19

Welcome! I don't use a meat delivery service, prefer to buy local raised side of beef and use my freezer. I think better price per pound that way.

LCdave Sat, Jul-01-17 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopchick
Hi Dave.

I am only 4 weeks in but have definitely noticed an improvement in my mental status. I've suffered from depression in varying degrees for much of my life. I haven't tried a meat delivery service but it sounds interesting. Hope you have a great day!

Thanks! :wave:

LCdave Sat, Jul-01-17 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Impressive maintenance, Dave. Thanks for joining us.

Best wishes.

Thank you! :)

LCdave Sat, Jul-01-17 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
By classic keto, do you mean 3:1, 4:1 ratio ketogenic diets as used in epilepsy? I'm currently aiming close to 3:1.

I have what would probably be diagnosed as something along the lines of schizo-affective bipolar disorder, with a side of social anxiety. More often than not, it's been the social anxiety I've had to deal with, but I've had some periods of serious psychosis, and decades where I had various forms of auditory hallucinations on a regular basis. The hearing voices stuff had already died down, but the voices disappeared entirely when I started eating more ketogenically, although I can't be certain that wasn't just a coincidence. I've noticed lately I'm getting a hint of them when listening to Freebird, but it's worth it. :lol:

I do get a mood lift from eating a ketogenic diet, and also a reduction in social anxiety, both in person and online. But it seems to be tied to caffeine, at least, the few times I've tried lowering my caffeine intake or even quitting caffeine, I've ended up down and back in my shell. I still do lower caffeine now and again just to restore sensitivity.

I am doing 3:1 and it has helped me immensely with body inflammation and it seems to have helped my mood as well, I am so glad my wife talked me into this as we both are doing it together. Take Care!

LCdave Sat, Jul-01-17 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
For most of my life I suffered from clinical depression. Eating a very low carb diet has entirely alleviated this problem. It really is quite remarkable.

Jean

Agreed I am getting the same effect!