Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Mexican casserole ((YUMMY)) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=374900)

msamyj Thu, Jun-05-08 11:48

Mexican casserole ((YUMMY))

I have made this several times for the hubby...thought i'd share.. This is a family keeper for us.

Makes 6 servings 5.45g carbs total, 2.71g fiber = 2.74g
entire casserole= 33.90g carbs total, 13.04 g fiber= 20.86g net

opt out of the avocados to cut carbs even more.

MEXICAN CASSEROLE

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lb ground beef
1/4 cup onions
chili powder
cumin
red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream
8 oz cream cheese softened
jalepenos ( optional)
picante sauce
1/2 cup avocado sliced( optional) ~increases carbs (not induction friendly)
green onions chopped

brown ground beef with onions. salt and pepper to taste. Drain, add rest of seasonings to meat ( chili powder etc.) In a small baking dish layer ground beef. Spread softened cream cheese on top of beef mixture. Layer picante sauce on next. ( usually use just 3 tbs...very little)layer Jalepenos next, then avocados. Top with cheese and green onions. Bake on 350 until cheese is melted. serve with a tbsp of sour cream on top.

mainecyn Sun, Nov-01-09 19:51

I love Mexican food, and have lived on taco salad most of the time (without shell), several times a week..going to try this! Yum

seesah Tue, Nov-03-09 11:49

Sounds yummy! For those that miss the crunch, in tacos, try making cheese "chips"! I lovvvve makin those for taco salads, they totally satisfy! Even if I wasnt low carbing, I would still make the cheese "chips".

sophia25 Mon, Jul-12-10 20:05

going to try later this week. I was getting tacos and removing shells until I realized how many carbs were still in it! This should help my cravings. I think I will leave out the cream cheese (extreme aversion to it).

gweny70 Tue, Jul-13-10 11:26

This sound REALLY good! Definitely going to give it a try!!

pawcat73 Wed, Aug-04-10 11:44

this sounds like a great recipe! How much of the spices do you use?

Bride2B514 Wed, Aug-04-10 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
I love Mexican food, and have lived on taco salad most of the time (without shell), several times a week..going to try this! Yum

I know this is an old post...but what do you usually put on your taco salads? I too LOVE mexian food and need some new ideas...Maybe you have some?

graciejean Wed, Aug-04-10 15:46

I wish I was Mexican,Lived there once,loved it.........

ringamajig Thu, Aug-05-10 14:27

I am making this for dinner tonight. No avocado or green onion (don't have) will add some black olives to it and a little red onion instead. As for the spices, I think that someone asked how much to use, I am going to just wing it and put them in until it tastes good. I will also be using a little garlic powder. I will let you all know what everyone thinks.
Roxanne

ringamajig Thu, Aug-05-10 20:13

If you like mexican food, make this if you have not already done so. Hubs said after first bite, you can make this again!

I did not use the sour cream on top as did not think that it was needed due to the cream cheese. I also did not have avocado or green onions so I used a little more red onion and olives. It was very good. Try it!

jbmoore Thu, Aug-18-11 21:58

This looks good. May have to give it a try!

Monique723 Thu, Jan-12-12 07:57

This turned out so good!!! I used 1 and 1/2 tsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. cumin, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, and some garlic powder, maybe 1/2 tsp.

I cooked with about 1/3 c. chopped onions in a base of butter and extra virgin olive oil until onions were translucent.

I added extra cheddar cheese, more like 2 cups because I love cheese and used salsa instead of picante sauce. Made sure I scooped out all the seeds in the jalapeno's because that is where most of the heat is. Skipped the green onions and avocado. I cooked it for 15-20 minutes in the oven after adding the cheese.

It really was delicious, one of the best LC recipes I have made.

Emmalee808 Sun, Sep-01-13 23:22

Yum! Making it this week!

denky01 Mon, Sep-02-13 06:43

Will make this again soon. Yummy!!!

Hlc44 Tue, Sep-03-13 18:01

I made this tonight. We ate it on top of spinach leaves with chopped tomatoes, avocado and cilantro. It was so good and everyone loved it!