Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Nestlé to launch low-carb chocolates (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186694)

Dwilks Tue, May-25-04 02:15

Nestlé to launch low-carb chocolates

Nestlé Rowntree became the latest food manufacturer to jump on the Atkins
band-wagon yesterday when it announced it would launch a low-carbohydrate version of KitKat chocolate biscuits and Rolo chocolate toffees.

Consumers can already choose low-carb options in everything from beer to bread. However, Nestlé Rowntree, the UK arm of Nestlé, the world's biggest food company, claimed this was the first time a UK confectionery
company had developed a low-carb version of a mainstream brand. The company has cut the carbohydrate content of a two-fingered KitKat from 13g to 5.9g and a pack of Rolos from 39.6g to 5.9g, by using sugar
substitutes.

Donna.

Demi Tue, May-25-04 03:00

Just spotted this as well in the DM:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186696

tammy565 Tue, May-25-04 04:06

OMG i can't wait to try them. I hardly ever have chocolate but it's nice to know something will be available for my rare cravings!!

NigelF Wed, May-26-04 00:55

It would have to be Rowntree/Nestle who make the nastiest tasting chocolate in the first place IMHO. What ever happened to this low-carb tomato sauce that Heinz promised us about 6 months or so ago?

doogieb Wed, May-26-04 02:31

NigelF - pretty sure Heinz one is out in the US at the moment, so I guess it's just a matter of time.

kenny Wed, Jun-09-04 06:39

I had heard that the low carb version of both the Kit Kat and Rolo were going to be priced at about £1.70 each. This may just be a rumour, but I don't need chocolate that much.

It took a while for the sweet cravings to go when I started Atkins. I think these low carb chocolate alternatives are too risky for me to sample.

I don't want to get hooked on sweets after doing so well.

Kenny

Jems Thu, Jun-10-04 06:57

Me neither! Still miss occasionally but have since Christmas without it so don't want all those cravings to start up again!

skpaddie Thu, Jun-10-04 07:09

Anyone know when its coming out? If its £1.70 in the UK I wont even try to imagine what they'll be charging for it over here :rolleyes:

kenny Thu, Jun-10-04 12:02

Think they are due out next month

Whisky Fri, Jun-11-04 07:27

I don't eat sweets now either however, was at the pictures with the family the other day and I wanted to have something to nibble on too so I bought one of those coconut things (carbalite - expensive but nice) and a chuf chuf lolly so I was happy. I think the prices of these things are so high I just keep them for special occasions.

LisaUK Sat, Jun-12-04 03:49

Don't forget that if they take off, the price will come down. Nestle has the power and the money behind it which I don't think Carbolite has just yet - so they can afford to drop prices after a bit.

Magpies Sat, Jun-12-04 04:01

Since I've been l'cing, I don't eat chocolate and I don't usually crave it but some months for TOM cravings this would be great - I used to love Kitkat. Now if only some of the top quality chocolate manufacturers would also introduce a low carb version. :cool:

Tonymoo Sat, Jun-12-04 10:04

From today's The Grocer - a testing of new LC Kit-kat and rolos

"From Nestle:

Nestle's LC versions of popular confectionary countlines Kit Kat and Rol are rolling out for general sale next month. The launch is Nestle's first foray into the LC arena.

Price: 79p for a 2 finger Kit Kat LC, 1.49 for a tube of Rolos LC (5.29 and 9.89) respectively for 7 piece multipacks.

Consumer's Verdict

Like most women I am a big choc lover and am always looking for new ways to shift a few pounds without giveing up chocolate.

because if that I was very excited about the launch although slightly sceptival.

Already a regular KK muncher, I found the taste of the LC version very good, although it did not have as sweet an aftertaste as the original. The packaging was bright and eye-catching and, kn owing the health benefits, I would buy it again instead of the standard version.

Rolo LC also tasted good - much the same as the original - but the filling is a little stickier. Both products are better than I expected and if you look at them as a dietary aid, they are reasonably priced. Score: 22/25"

There is also a review from a buyer at Nisa-Today's who says KK is practically identical on taste and Rolsos had a noticeable aftertaste. Score: 18/25

LisaUK Sun, Jun-13-04 15:56

Over £5 for a multipack of 7 kit kat. I think this will stop me buying more than one every so often! That's an awful lot of money but that's good, it'll keep me away from them! :)

dph Mon, Jun-21-04 10:48

I wonder if Nestle are deciding to do this because of a fall in sales, or because they want to promote a healthier image to their products?

Even all the Atkins branded chocolate bars are expensive -- at least they are in Boots, which is the only high street shop near me that sells them :-(