Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Nutrition & Supplements (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   advice on carb free supplements (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=477506)

elisagirl Mon, Jun-19-17 10:36

advice on carb free supplements

I've been feeling under the weather this week; and truly missing vitamin rich foods in my diet; i'm a bit concerned but want to stay on plan.

I feel the need to get a supplement the covers my nutritional needs while on Atkins.

i see a few low carb versions on amazon..but does GNC or Whole Body have something I can pick up quick? Right now it looks like everything has some kind of starch thrown.

Do any of you use a certain brand with great results?

VLC.MD Mon, Jun-19-17 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisagirl
I've been feeling under the weather this week; and truly missing vitamin rich foods in my diet; i'm a bit concerned but want to stay on plan.

What vitamin rich foods ?

Atkins only gets rid of carb-dense foods.

You might not be eating enough low carb vegetables.
I just had a romaine salad with green pepper, orange pepper, mushroom, radish, oil and vinegar salad dressing with some hot chicken strips w/ vinegar and pepper on top.

Any multivitamin might help you.

I took some notes on "Supplements and Atkins" .... here are my notes.
I didnt need any.

Quote:
Electrolytes like magnesium, potassium and calcium – to help cope with “Induction flu” symptoms

Supplements:

fish oil. It does wonders for your triglycerides.
and 1-3 potassium pills (99mg ea). I take more potassium while I am on Induction, since it helps with leg cramps.
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10 ) and L-Carnitine ,
use extra potassium in the form of Morton's Lite Salt

thud123 Mon, Jun-19-17 11:23

(deleted, VLCMD responded)

elisagirl Mon, Jun-19-17 12:29

induction only allows four loosely packed cups of raw vegetables/lettuces....that isn't much..not enough to meet daily nutritional requirements. i did eat a half green bell pepper yesterday... one cup has six carbs. I did so to get the vitamin c i need. I also eat arugula a lot because it about carb free. I've been taking magnesium and did so before starting this.

Also supplements/ vitamins have hidden carbs in them and can stall weightless..i just thought some of you might know of great carb free brands that don't have carbs.

When i started this I was doing Atkins 20 which preaches 20 net carbs and it was a delight.. i was able to eat plenty of vegetables.. yet i wasn't losing weight. So, I've been doing induction according the older New Atkins. i may just have to eat more carbs in the way of vegetables and see what happens.

JEY100 Mon, Jun-19-17 14:03

Quote from the Duke Clinic diet:

Quote:
Vitamins and Supplements Although the “no sugar, no starch” diet is very nutritious, we recommend that you take an iron-free multivitamin to be sure that you are getting all of the vitamins and minerals that you need, unless you are told to take iron by your doctor.

Any generic similar to a Centrum Silver will do if you want a no-iron multi.

But meat, fish and especially organ meats are more nutritious than vegetables. Liver, sardines and eggs are the most nutritious foods...you can make a whole chicken from an egg ;)

elisagirl Mon, Jun-19-17 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Quote from the Duke Clinic diet:

Any generic similar to a Centrum Silver will do if you want.

But meat, fish and especially organ meats are more nutritious than vegetables. Liver, sardines and eggs are the most nutritious foods...you can make a whole chicken from an egg ;)

Thank you for being helpful.