Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Worst Weight Loss Advice You've Seen/Heard? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=475886)

s-piper Sun, Jan-01-17 13:46

Worst Weight Loss Advice You've Seen/Heard?

Since it's new year's day and the time when everyone will be starting new weight loss plans, I was thinking about all the silly advice you'll see in articles at this time of year and figured maybe we could share our worst.

Mine:

- Use social media to keep yourself accountable by sharing your goals. This immediately seemed like the dumbest advice to me because, I'm not a fan of New Year's resolutions to begin with, but it always seems like the person who announces theirs on Facebook...or spends a lot of time bragging on Facebook about going to the gym, etc., are the people who, by the next month I see them, will have stopped any efforts they were making.

gonwtwindo Sun, Jan-01-17 14:12

"Eat until you are satisfied".

hahahahahahahahahaha no.

Meme#1 Sun, Jan-01-17 14:56

"everything in moderation",

nutradvanc Sun, Jan-01-17 17:30

"healthy as part of a balanced diet" (about any number of junk foods...)

chicachyna Sun, Jan-01-17 19:39

DASH: low fat, low salt, limit red meat

bostonkarl Mon, Jan-02-17 07:22

#1. It's just a simple matter of burning more calories than you eat.*
#2. There's only 15 calories in a teaspoon of sugar.**

* Oh, yeah, it is just sooooooo easy; not like this "advice" hasn't been around forever and the obesity epidemic is worse than eve.
** This one drives me crazy, and I'm happy to see that Taubb mentions it in The Case Against Sugar.

JEY100 Mon, Jan-02-17 08:24

Dumb list on Pinterest this morning: Best snacks for weight loss included Wheat Thins, Oatmeal, Soy nuts, Banana and peanut butter, and Cheerios cereal :rolleyes:

The not dumb food list near it: Low Carb Snacks by Nutrition Advance ( :wave: Michael :thup: )
but it had been re-pinned by someone called CalorieCoach.
Win some, lose some. :lol:

GRB5111 Mon, Jan-02-17 11:09

"Eat whatever you're inspired to eat. Your body knows what it requires."

deirdra Mon, Jan-02-17 13:15

"Eat rice cakes". I think styrofoam might be tastier and healthier.

1DogDay Mon, Jan-02-17 13:48

"My body tells me what it needs" - LOL, mine seems to always "need" things that are bad for me so I have to trust my head on this one as my body can't be trusted ;)

DelaneyLC Mon, Jan-02-17 14:26

Eat oatmeal...

Yuck that!

cml201 Mon, Jan-02-17 14:28

Eat what you like when you like then stop

cshepard Mon, Jan-02-17 18:34

My mother: "When are you going to go back to normal food?"

khrussva Mon, Jan-02-17 19:23

Any advice that includes the phrases artery clogging fat or healthy whole wheat.

teaser Mon, Jan-02-17 20:22

If you feel hungry, just drink a glass of water. Maybe you're just thirsty.

Another one, not so much about weight loss, from the bodybuilding community--I used to see advice to keep a protein shake next to the bed, that way if you had to get up to pee or something in the middle of the night, you could drink it to avoid going into a catabolic state.

Also I was reading a "negative calories foods" article earlier today.