Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Ground beef/turkey ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=39391)

tammay Wed, Apr-03-02 16:52

Ground beef/turkey ideas

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've harassed this board with silly questions but here I am again (just so you don't forget me ;) )

I'm going back to Atkins starting next week (trying to step up my weight loss although I've been doing pretty good on GO) and doing my menus. So I'm looking for advice on two things:

1. Ground meat ideas - I know it sounds weird, but I LOVE ground beef as a snack - it's a good thing to nash on (instead of the heavenly nuts I've been having with GO) and no carbs. But I'm at a loss on how to make it. Tried doing it with just salt, pepper and paprika but it turned out pretty bland. Anyone have any ideas for spices or quick ways to turn ground beef or turkey into a delicious snack?

2. Low carb/no carb snacks - I'm finding in planning my menus that I don't have a lot of extra carbs to spare for snacks. As mentioned above, ground meat is one option. Others I have so far are hard boiled eggs and cheese sticks. But anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks as always!

Tam

Lisa N Wed, Apr-03-02 18:25

101 uses for a ground up cow

How about cooking your ground beef with chili powder, cumin and maybe some garlic powder? Tastes a lot like taco meat. I also like to make ground beef patties with bleu cheese in the middle or maybe some feta cheese. Ground beef patties topped with sauteed mushrooms are also good. How about adding mushrooms and sour cream to ground beef with a few onions and some garlic for a stroganoff type dish?
Low carb snacks....hmmm...I like celery sticks stuffed with cream cheese, pork rinds with low carb dip, leftover meat, boiled eggs and pepperoni slices. Hope this helps!

kellcinn Wed, Apr-03-02 19:03

ground beef idea..

Everyone at my house likes my hamburger patties (or the meatloaf) when I addd ground up pork rinds. It gives the meat a sort of grilled flavour (very hard to describe but good). I use the pork rinds instead of bread crumbs and always get a compliment on the dish.
I like turkey or chicken salad and bacon strips wrapped up in a lettuce leaf, (when you come off induction add some tomato) ....a clubhouse without the carbs!
Carb free snacks for me usually are seasoned pork rinds, Sugar free Jello, or chicken wings marinated in hot sauce.

DWRolfe Wed, Apr-03-02 20:00

Ground meat...

I really like the Bacon Cheesburger Casserole recipe...
....on this site and I make the Taco Meat recipe as well. Meatloaf is good too, as are meatballs, etc. It's all good. :thup:

I really don't snack, so I'll leave that one up to my friends on the board!

Good luck and welcome back to this WOE.

Donald :daze:

jabs72 Wed, Apr-03-02 20:05

i read the posts quickly, but have you thought of mini meatballs..great snack, at least i think so...i haven't tried putting pork rinds in them, but that would most likely work. i put 2-3 eggs to hold them together and whatever seasonings i like...yummy.

tokenyanke Thu, Apr-04-02 09:45

hamburger/turkey ideas

I am addicted to ground turkey for some reason.... I either make patties or just fry it. Either way I add prepared mustard, mayo and some Parmesan cheese. Even my hubby and son like it that way! :yum:

cindi

tammay Thu, Apr-04-02 11:46

Thanks guys!

Thanks for all the suggestions :) . I acutally downloaded the Bacon Cheese Casserole but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The Taco Beef sounds great.

Tam