Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Vegetarian Low Carbers (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Vegetarian Atkins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=101980)

aileen Tue, Apr-29-03 19:07

Vegetarian Atkins

Is anyone doing this and what do you eat? I am getting sick of all meat, poultry, fish and even bacon.

Laura D Tue, Apr-29-03 20:46

I eat lots of tofu baked with veggies like eggplant and zuccinni with melted cheese on top and a little basil!! Also big lovely spinach salads with blue cheese dressing and chopped hard boiled eggs. Deviled eggs are a nice snack.

There are meat replacements that are pretty low carb, but I have been a veggie for 10 years so I am kind of sick of those!! I am so happy to be able to eat all the things that were forbidden on low fat diets, like cheddar and mushroom omletts.

Paleoanth Wed, Apr-30-03 03:29

I eat Morningstar Farms products, portabella mushrooms, spinach salads, eggplant, tofu.....lots of stuff. It can be a bit of a challenge to get enough fat and protein, but it is doable if you pay attention. That is why I love fitday.com-it helps me make sure that I am getting all the fat and protein I need.

etoiles Wed, Apr-30-03 16:43

low carb vegetarian meal ideas!

Hi!

Like the other vegetarian low carbers here I also eat a lot of different salads - taco salad, romaine lettuce, tomato, and cheddar with a purreed avacado as dressing, spinach with carmelized onions - and while they are carmelizing melt in some cream cheese, and mix it with blue cheese. Also a lot of veggies roasted asparagus, boiled artichoke with lemon butter, I made an eggplant parmesan coating the eggplant with a dried and crumbled slice of Atkins bread.

Indian recipes also have a lot of vegetarian recipes and they are low carb without the rice. www.allrecipes.com has a terrific soup recipe that is so good I make it weekly. Just search for 'Tomato Cheddar Soup' on the site. The turnip fries on the Atkins Center website are pretty good.

I have also had some good meals at restaurants that give me ideas of what to make at home - at Chili's I ordered fajitas without the beef and tortillas - it tasted SO GOOD! Just sauteed peppers, onions, and mushrooms with spices blended with sour cream, cheddar, and guacamole.

hope that gives you some ideas!

MsJinx Thu, May-01-03 19:14

I just bought "This Can't be Tofu!" cookbook today. I can't deal with all the freaky ingredients in my Morningstar Farm anymore (GMO!), or the spices in some of the other stuff - got a serious rash on face from eating Vegi Jerky :( . I eat the Tofu Pups, my fav among the hotdogs - can't remember if it is GMO or not...I LOVE eggless egg salad. It has O carbs per 4 oz. Great on Ak Mak crackers or some pork rinds (ARG!!). I'm eating lots of nuts. YIPPEE I love 'em! Brasil nuts are lower in carb than many nuts. They are suprisingly good if fresh and not in those horrid can mixes.

I'll post any recipes that I try from my new book - IF they are good! Most of my veggie cookbooks STINK. The Schwarzbein Principle has some good whole food type recipes. I love the creamy spinach soup - I posted it on the recipe board.

Anything else you folks come up with, please post! I feel quite desperate.
Hugs,
Jinx

kacey Tue, May-20-03 15:50

new low carber

Wow
this is great! I am a new low carber and also an almost life long vegetarian! I had always thought that low carb and veg were two things that could not go together but boy was I wrong!
I have tried absolutely EVERYTHING to lose and nothing was working. Kind of on a whim I reread a few books and gave this a try and IT WORKS! And it is easy to do.
For the first time I am thinking about actually achieving my goal!
I am low carbing and doing lots of cardio and I feel great and am getting to eat all the foods i love. I think (just my opinion) that many vegs tend to eat too many carbs and not enough in the way of protein and I definitely feel into this category.
But since starting this plan it is as if when I wake up each morning I actually look smaller. Its amazing.
Do you all notice anything signigicant in terms of your weight losses?

glad to be here!
:wave:

etoiles Tue, May-20-03 16:19

I totally agree

I think you hit the nail right on the head. I think that vegetarians DO eat way too much carbs and not enough proteins to balance it out. A few years ago I lived with 5 other vegetarians and what did we all eat - pasta, bread, etc.

Of the six of us 4 of us could lose weight. Probably in part because of all those carbs.

Paleoanth Tue, May-20-03 16:23

Oh I totally agree. Now I am very careful to get enough protein. Makes me feel better and allows me to gain some muscle tone.

I am glad you found us! Being a veggie low carber is not all that hard-just takes a bit of imagination. The hardest part can be eating out.

kacey Wed, May-21-03 08:58

so glad too!

Hi again!
I am real glad I found you all too! Being a veg has put me in a minority so it is great to find others!
I don't find low carbing difficult at all. I thought that I would when I firs started but it turned out to be a snap. In addition to low carbing I have also cut out grains as well. I am thinking that when I reach goal I may add in a couple of serving 1x or 2x a week. But not eating grains does not botherme either and I thought that would be impossible!
The only thing I forsee wanting any time soon is fruit. I know that I will have to limit my friut consumption but I am looking forward to a nice juicy slice of melon when i reach goal!
The changes that I have experienced wince starting this are incredible. For you veyerans I would like to know if they continue?
Someetimes I almost feel guilty because I am eating things like blue cheese dressing made with sour cream and mayonnaise and when i want a sweet I have whipped cream or ice cream made with somersweet. (and the sweet craving are nothing like before but about eod I do have a small yen!) I keep thinking "How can I eat this and expect to lose weight?" and then the next morning I wake up feeling and looking a bit thinner!
Since beginning low carb last week for the first time in a year I do not wake up hungry and devouring a snack in the middle of the night. Even if I ate a snack before I went to bed this would happen and it was very upsetting.
Also, the weight that I am losing is fat and not muscle which is great!
Will this continue!?!?!?!?!
thanks for reading!