Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   CAD/CALP (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Fiber (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=157430)

m~nien Tue, Jan-06-04 16:16

Fiber

I'm curious about fiber in this diet. Is there enough fiber in lettuce and other salad vegetables for a persons needs?

potatofree Tue, Jan-06-04 22:13

If you choose dark, leafy greens for your salads instead of iceburg, and include low-GI veggies like cauliflower or broccoli in your menu, I'd say yes. I've had FAR less um...."problems" on CAD than Atkins. I've yet to need a fiber supplement. Also, I include fruit or whole-grain cereal in my RM.

Tess M Wed, Jan-07-04 03:18

Like Potato said, you can do things to increase the fiber in your diet, if you need to (and who doesn't)? :) I make my salads from a mixture of spinach and romaine, for cms--and add lots of approved veggies.. At rm--well, you can just go nuts with it, if you need to.. I really like the slaw mixes that are already washed and shredded. There is a broccoli/carrot/cabbage combo that is really good when mixed in with leafy greens and lc veggies.. I like to have a large salad with everything I have on hand, plus a few prunes chopped up over it all, each night.. If you think you're not getting enough fiber during the day (at cms), you can always pick up the slack at rm time... :p

xtena Wed, Jan-07-04 12:10

The USDA recommends '5 a day' and many people who eat the SAD (Standard American Diet) get less than that. I eat at least 10 a day on CALP...since it is recommended to include veggies at all CMs including breakfast. Like Potatofree, I have fewer 'problems' on this plan than on Atkins.

If fiber is a concern consider making some of your RM carbs complex (brown rice, beans etc.) saving simple starches and sugars for an occasional treat.

kokle Wed, Jan-07-04 12:43

I find that certain veggies, like brussels sprouts do more for me than veggies like cabbage as far as fiber goes.

m~nien Wed, Jan-07-04 16:20

I would like to thank everyone for their reply to my question. Some very helpful suggestions there. I sure could use some new recipes for salads. Making the salad is my contribution to our supper (wife makes all the rest) but after 7 weeks I have run out of ideas to liven up the salad.

LadyBelle Wed, Jan-07-04 16:32

Use appled diced and walnuts.

Add blueberries and have a blueberry vinagrette dressing.

Use hard boiled eggs and bacon bits

Crumbled gorgonzola or feta. If using the feta maybe add some olives for a greek salad. Use the cucumber yogurt dressing used for gyros. I put the recipe in the sauces forum.

Tess M Wed, Jan-07-04 18:32

Or you could make a nice sugar free coleslaw--to give yourself a break from salad.. You can even make it with prepackaged shredded cabbage, as a time saver... Or how about a nice cold broccoli salad? Be glad to post a couple of recipes for you, if you would like. It's nice to have a cold salad that isn't "salad" sometimes.... :p

adukart Thu, Jan-08-04 10:19

Tess, I would like to see those recipes if you don't mind. I've been trying to find some good ones.

Tess M Thu, Jan-08-04 16:10

Hi Adukart--I posted the recipes in your journal for you. Hope you will enjoy!! :)