Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Semi Low-Carb Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   I Don't Count Carbs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=417710)

Jean1183 Mon, Sep-27-10 04:07

I Don't Count Carbs

I recently went back to low-carbing and have lost 27 pounds since the beginning of the summer. This time, I haven't counted my carbs. I just try to avoid them as much as possible. If something is "white" or processed, I ~try~ to not eat it. For instance, I will get a burger and just take it off the bun but may eat a few fries or chips with it.

Is there anyone else who is doing this?

Oh....I also started walking 3 to 6 miles a day and have only missed a few days.

black57 Mon, Sep-27-10 22:46

I do not count carbs...I know what foods are low carb and which ones are not. I don't get the "Don't eat white" concept...aisn't cauliflower white? Turnips are white. They are both low carb so I just eat foods that are low carb...their color is meaningless. As a matter of fact, I count nothing.

Jean1183 Tue, Sep-28-10 03:26

Onions....don't forget, onions. I love onions! LOL!

You really explained it better (just eat low carb) but when people ask, the best way I can explain it to those that don't understand carbs is the "no white" thing. Then I give them examples: sugar, flour, rice, potatoes, etc. And I explain that eating a baked potato is better than eating rolls or bread; or eating fresh fruit is better than eating cake.

I first started low-carbing after one of the doctors that I worked with started telling his patients about Protein Power and recommending the book to them. I got the book and counted carbs and lost 25lbs but gained it back after stopping. This time, I decided to not "count" carbs but to just eat low-carb. It has seemed so much easier for me.

zeph317 Tue, Sep-28-10 08:48

eggs too. i said that to someone just the other day, that i don't eat whites. then i realized eggs were white and knew i had to stop saying that. i don't count either, just avoid processed foods and mainly eat meat.

Shyvas Tue, Sep-28-10 09:21

No 'white' stodge for me neither.

I no longer count carbs but still low carb and take it easy.

Hutchinson Tue, Sep-28-10 09:27

I never counted carbs either when losing weight or since in maintenance. I just don't eat refined carbs and starchy veggies. I don't eat any manufactures "low carb" foods either so just about all the food I consume I cook myself at home from basic ingredients.

Shobha Tue, Sep-28-10 22:21

I think a lot of benefit can be had by just cutting out sugar and refined carbs.

blue_eyes_ Sat, Oct-09-10 08:25

I'm cutting out sugar & flour but including some grain. I don't count carbs either. I'm amazed that the cravings are gone. I quit low carb 2 yrs ago and gained back 30 lbs! This time round I've lost 16 lbs so far in one month. So grateful! Trying to take it one meal at a time, one day at a time. Congrats on your weight loss thus far!

Jean1183 Tue, Oct-12-10 10:52

You too! That's awesome, 16lbs. And your philosophy of one meal at a time, one day at a time is one I would like to adopt if it's OK with you?

Pilili Thu, Oct-14-10 05:54

After a stall that lasted for 2-3 months, I realised I did my diet too strictly. When I stopped counting carbs, I started losing weight again.
Not counting also has the pleasant side-effect of taking away part of the stress that accompanies any diet.

I too stay away from "white" ;) and processed stuff.
I see that I get adequate protein, I am not too skimpy on good fats, I allow myself nearly all vegetables in ample portions :agree: , and I treat myself to a good handful of nuts (almost daily) or low carb fruit (occasionally).

Requin Tue, Oct-19-10 18:17

I hate math. I don't count anything.

I have a pretty good idea of what is and isn't low carb, and if I'm not sure, that is what google is for. So I simply "eat low carb" as well.

Jean1183 Wed, Nov-10-10 04:35

Glad to see others who don't "count" and who are being successful.

Pilili, you are SO right! This time is a lot less stressful with me not trying to count everything. It's like not being on a "diet" but just eating healthier.

I had stalled at 152.5 for a couple of weeks but woke this morning to 149.5!!!

Requin...LOL! I hate math too.

Pilili Tue, Nov-16-10 03:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean1183
I had stalled at 152.5 for a couple of weeks but woke this morning to 149.5!!!

Sweet!
Congratz!

LAwoman75 Tue, Nov-16-10 06:56

I love the title of this thread. I'd have to say that I also never counted carbs and still don't in maintenance.

PilotGal Tue, Nov-16-10 07:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean1183
This time, I haven't counted my carbs. I just try to avoid them as much as possible.
Is there anyone else who is doing this?
i no longer count anything. after awhile, you learn what you can tolerate and what you cannot.
it gets really simple and becomes your way of life, naturally.

good luck to you.