Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Why does my urine smell so strong?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=320662)

Gypsymom07 Sat, Jan-13-07 19:11

Why does my urine smell so strong??

Is this ketosis? Am I actually peeing fat out of my body??

I hate sounding so blunt about it...but what is that smell?

Gypsymom07 Sat, Jan-13-07 19:31

Should I be concerned about this?

bkloots Sat, Jan-13-07 20:01

Yes, that would be ketones being excreted. No, nothing to worry about.

karrier Sat, Jan-13-07 21:35

If you are drinking enough water that too... will pass.

I'm sorry I couldn't help myself. lol

Kisal Sat, Jan-13-07 22:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsymom07
Is this ketosis? Am I actually peeing fat out of my body??

I hate sounding so blunt about it...but what is that smell?
It might also be related to the vegetables you eat. The cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts, to name just a few) will often give the urine a strong odor.

Gypsymom07 Sun, Jan-14-07 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrier
If you are drinking enough water that too... will pass.

I'm sorry I couldn't help myself. lol

cute :) Thanks for the laugh :)

I went and bought ketosis sticks and man...its purple...so I wonder if I am in "too much ketosis"??

Will this damage my kidneys???

bkloots Sun, Jan-14-07 06:36

Actually, I drink plenty of water, and my pee still smells strong. Maybe it does have to do with veggies. Or certain vitamins?

Ketosis won't harm your kidneys, according to all I've read. Ketones are a natural product of your body at all times, a form of energy some cells in your body use in preference to glucose. Now you just have more.

Different people cause varying reactions on those stix. Some people lose successfully without ever changing the color. As long as you are drinking a decent amount of water, the color isn't that critical.

Recently someone posted a short informational article on ketosis on this site. You'll find it here: About Ketosis Not the whole story, but informative.

Nancy LC Sun, Jan-14-07 10:02

Ketosis is perfectly natural. Everyone is in ketosis when they're sleeping and haven't eaten for many hours.

joesfolks Sun, Jan-14-07 13:03

Yes, veggies can affect the smellof your urine. Asperagus if famous for causing a strong odor. If your sticks are dark purple it may be an indication that you need to drink a lot more water.

icon Mon, Jan-15-07 19:51

Your pee is supposed to be dark yellow and smell strong in the morning as you are dehydrated from the night. By the end of the day and a gallon of water later my peeis almost clear and I never exceed 25 carbs a day. Mostly I am under 20. Try drinking more water and check it out.

bkloots Tue, Jan-16-07 05:16

Actually, after four years on Atkins, my pee smells quite strong all the time, and I drink plenty of water. Some of the yellow color is from the vitamins I take, but it is usually much darker yellow than the expected color for a well-hydrated person.

astrid Tue, Jan-16-07 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
It might also be related to the vegetables you eat. The cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts, to name just a few) will often give the urine a strong odor.

Asapargus will BIG TIME!!!!!!

icon Tue, Jan-16-07 21:16

I thought about this and checked out my pee most the day. I pee lots. Work as a city truck driver so thank god for bathrooms everywhere. I must go about 15 times in a 9 hour period. My carbs are about 20-25 a day and I dob't get the strong odor or dark yellow stuff. Been low carbing off and on for a few years.

joesfolks Wed, Jan-17-07 12:17

Icon, if you are going 15 times in a 9 hour period you have an over active bladder. It is actually pretty common among truck drivers as they go whenever they stop. You might want to see the doc about it. He/she can give you detrol which helps some people immensly.

JudyChat Wed, Jan-17-07 15:30

LOL All this talk makes me have to pee! LOL