Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Iced Coffee (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480638)

JessAus Fri, Jun-29-18 17:20

Iced Coffee

Hey all - does anyone have a good LC iced coffee recipe?

I have fiddled around with coffee/cream/stevia but I can't get it to taste good.

I also really am not a fan of the taste of the stevia

Ms Arielle Fri, Jun-29-18 17:43

I have used splenda for ever, so anything else tastes weird to me. The taste of coffee is VERY personal. I like hot coffee and will drink a neglected cup that is room temp. BUT WILL NOT DRINK iced coffee. LOL

ANd the coffee blend matters to my taste buds. Cant drink the junk at DD, but love McD.

Different creams have different flavors. Try a grassfed cream for a richer flavor.

Hope you find your special mix asap---hot weather is upon us!

JessAus Fri, Jun-29-18 17:52

Thanks Ms Arielle

Maybe it is the sweetener that is making it taste weird - I might try and get some splenda.

I had to laugh at your cream comment btw - Cows only eat grass here :lol: I'm in Western Australia and its brrr cold at the moment.

It's funny trying to work out some of the things mentioned on these boards - What on earth is gravy biscuits and why do you put gravy on them? :confused:

Ms Arielle Fri, Jun-29-18 18:02

LOL, Of course I know better---you are in the middle of winter.

Usually dairy cattle are sequestered and kept housed, close to their feed. Few get out on grass now. High production has been the push for years, and that means lots of grain, as well as hay or silage. The butter and cream are a better quality the more the girls get on grass.....

Diet coke here usually has aspartame. Doesnt come with splenda. I can taste the difference. Coke now has MANY forumulations.

Also, a trick in baking is to use several different sweeteners. By blending several , they seem to nutralize each other and just leaves the sweet.

mojolissa Sat, Jun-30-18 08:00

just ice, coffee, heavy whipping cream and liquid splenda or a torani sugar-free syrup (currently using s'more flavor) yum!

DelaneyLC Sat, Jun-30-18 09:47

I also use the flavored SF syrups. I like hazelnut and vanilla the best in my iced coffee. :yum:

cshepard Sat, Jun-30-18 12:40

I gradually got off artificial sweeteners and for my iced coffee now I use Starbucks instant packets, heavy cream, a heaping spoonful of cocoa powder (disolves better in a tiny bit of heated coffee) and coffe ice cubes... mmmmm, mocha

s93uv3h Sat, Jun-30-18 15:19

I've since gone to black coffee, and I like it iced. Refreshing for desert life! In the spirit of The Case for Bad Coffee, I've been drinking Taster's Choice House Blend freeze dried. I can be drinking a cup inside a minute.

:)

JessAus Sat, Jun-30-18 18:43

Thanks all I will try some of those suggestions and see if we can get those syrups in Aus.

BillyHW Sat, Jun-30-18 20:30

Have you tried cold-brewed coffee? It turns out less bitter.

JessAus Sat, Jun-30-18 20:43

No I haven't - I just did a google search to see what it is. That sounds like a great idea and then I can just pour it straight from the fridge! How do I go about it? How long will it keep in the fridge?

BillyHW Sat, Jun-30-18 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessAus
No I haven't - I just did a google search to see what it is. That sounds like a great idea and then I can just pour it straight from the fridge! How do I go about it? How long will it keep in the fridge?

I don't know how long it will keep. I never heard of it before my grocery store started carrying it last year.

https://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_...ack-coffee.html

I've bought it a few times and it's good. I know there are recipes online for making it yourself and it doesn't seem to difficult.

Just Jo Sun, Jul-01-18 04:15

My iced coffee is nothing fancy and I drink it all summer long here in the desert of NM.

I brew a pot in the am and put it in a container to drink the next morning...

I add liquid sucralose, almond milk and ice cubes before drinking... :yum: Pretty simple...

The liquid sucralose has never affected my weight one way or another nor does it give me cravings for more "sugar".

JEY100 Sun, Jul-01-18 08:15

Most of the SF free syrups are Splenda/sucralose. If you want to avoid that can also try flavored stevia drops...I’m currently using Vanilla and English Toffee from SweetLeaf brand. do not use too much stevia, only a few drops, it gets bitter if overdo amount.

I second the cold brew idea...can buy it at Trader Joe's in US, but I have made it myself too. The TJs says good 30 days from opening.

DelaneyLC Sun, Jul-01-18 08:56

I make mine cold brew. If you want to avoid sweeteners try it that way, maybe add some cream. Making it cold brew it comes out naturally sweeter. I make a big pitcher every few days. Sometime I will add the flavored SF syrups, just a little. I don’t like a lot of sweetness to over power my coffee flavor.