Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Maybe IF isn't for me - I ate dinner last night (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=479225)

nawchem Fri, Mar-02-18 22:35

Maybe IF isn't for me - I ate dinner last night

I woke, noticed I hadn't seemed to have moved all night and I felt so comfortable in my body. After months and months of not sleeping. Some mornings I wake up so hungry I cry and think no one better get in the way of FOOD.

I looked at the cans of meat I've been eating, which seem like a decent serving of meat - it's only 40 calories. Sometimes that's what I've been having as breakfast and lunch a whole 80 cals in a day. Then after a few days I feel so hungry wild horrible sugar fests follow.

Today I bought vegetables, which I haven't eaten in a long time. I will get some CO oil and butter. I can do protein shakes with cream.

I can't believe I have such a stupid problem and I don't know what to do. I've never paid the slightest attention to calories or macros - I just tried to get a decent amount of protein.

mike_d Fri, Mar-02-18 23:44

Protein shakes with water and cream leave me hungry if I don't eat something else like chicken, fish, eggs or beef with it. Tinned meat? a whole can of tuna in water only has ~100 calories, but I always mix it with mayo.

Sounds like you're trying a modified fast mimicking or PSMF regimen?
Best beware of "rabbit starvation", talk about rabbit food:

http://knowledgenuts.com/2015/01/21...th-rabbit-meat/

Fasting and ketosis both cause me a degree of insomnia. I am experimenting with a few carbs before bed to see if that helps. Just don't have the appetite I used to, but still stuck at the same weight.

nawchem Sat, Mar-03-18 00:27

Thanks mike d. I'd heard of rabbit starvation but I didn't realize the fat issue. I've started just eating chx, blueberries and grapes. Although I hate vinegar foods, I can tolerate mayo. I bought corn beef and ham today that should help I hope, deviled eggs, bullet coffee. After I got out of the habit, it just seemed so easy to eat canned foods, no dishes, no prep.

Maybe I can get the fat to 75% and the calories will go up automatically. I guess I would have to track the calories too.

My sleep deprivation is to the extent that its hard to keep my eyes open when I drive. I have a sleep study scheduled for next Saturday. I haven't been able to sleep for so long.

Thanks very much!

mike_d Sat, Mar-03-18 19:09

Benadryl 50 mg, the legacy anti-histamine pill, works well for a knock-out, or a very low-dose melatonin dose, but the latter can cause wild dreams.

I don't think you're of the weight class to have sleep apnea, but it's possible if you wake up a lot in the night.

My 'dish-washing' in Winter consists of tossing over-used paper plates into the wood-stove :)

nawchem Sat, Mar-03-18 19:15

Today I had my can of chicken, went to the store to buy fat then made myself a coffee with 2 tbsp half n half, 1 tb butter, 1 tsp CO for 18.5 fat grams. 5 hours later digestive rebellion.

mike are you tossing the plates because they're covered in fat?

Last night, very tired, I took 1 Benadryl around 10, didn't sleep until 6am.

Bonnie OFS Sat, Mar-03-18 22:38

Is there some reason you prefer canned meat to fresh? I like canned salmon, tuna, & sardines, but not much else. Canned chicken is awful without stuff to cover up the taste. We get it in our commodity boxes (poverty level geezers ;) ) & I've finally learned how to disguise the taste.

I've found if I don't eat beef several times a week, I start craving it. Somehow other meats don't satisfy for long, even if they taste good.

Bonnie OFS Sat, Mar-03-18 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Best beware of "rabbit starvation", talk about rabbit food:

http://knowledgenuts.com/2015/01/21...th-rabbit-meat/

Thanks for the link - I had to go there & add my 2 cents about rabbit fat. I love rabbit, but can't stand the fat - it's just nasty. I give it to the chickens. I've learned to like the kidneys & hearts - I slice them & cook them in butter with my morning eggs. The liver I've loved forever. So does my husband, so I have to share.

I just bred my does today so I'm looking forward to fresh rabbit in a few months. This time I'm going to try the brains. I know they're good for you, but I've never been able to talk myself into it before - but this time I'm determined.

Another food that can cause starvation while eating plenty is fresh water fish.

nawchem Sun, Mar-04-18 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Is there some reason you prefer canned meat to fresh? I like canned salmon, tuna, & sardines, but not much else. Canned chicken is awful without stuff to cover up the taste. We get it in our commodity boxes (poverty level geezers ;) ) & I've finally learned how to disguise the taste.

I've found if I don't eat beef several times a week, I start craving it. Somehow other meats don't satisfy for long, even if they taste good.

I love fresh meat just don't have a kitchen. I feel like I'm feeding a cat from my choice of canned foods if I had access to fresh I probably wouldn't be able to stand it.

Just the little fat I've had has been totally energizing and sleeping well 2 nights in a row. Got up really early and made eggs. Wow I can't believe the awesomeness!

Bonnie OFS Sun, Mar-04-18 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
I love fresh meat just don't have a kitchen.

Oh - that does make it difficult! I remember a few times in my life when I didn't have a kitchen, just a hot plate. I remember eating a lot of canned soup. Not the healthiest way to live. In your shoes I'd be going for the canned meats myself - way better than soup.

We have an elderly cat that can no longer eat dry food, so he gets Friskies canned shreds & tuna. The Friskies sometimes looks pretty good!

mike_d Sun, Mar-04-18 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
Today I had my can of chicken, went to the store to buy fat then made myself a coffee with 2 tbsp half n half, 1 tb butter, 1 tsp CO for 18.5 fat grams. 5 hours later digestive rebellion.

mike are you tossing the plates because they're covered in fat?

Last night, very tired, I took 1 Benadryl around 10, didn't sleep until 6am.
CO will cause that if you're not used to it. I found that out straight away using 1/4 cup to fry eggplant.

Oils like fried foods or steak can ruin the coating on plates and soak thru so I opt for a real plate then. Lazy I guess :)