Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Advanced/High Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Fatigue after exercise! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=446399)

TudorRose Thu, Sep-13-12 17:46

Fatigue after exercise!

I have been LC for 3 1/2 weeks and this is the first time I've gotten back into the saddle to do some bicycling. I did 10 miles of road bicycling today and I have felt horrible ever since. Extreme fatigue.. I just want to close my eyes & sleep. I have no energy to do anything. I had some veggies for a snack after my ride (about 4 carbs worth) and it didn't help.

I am wanting to train to do my first 30 mile ride in November and I don't know if I'll ever get there if I feel like this everyday :(

Anyone have any idea of what might be going on? Blood sugar too low? I feel like my body just isn't using fat as energy. I've only lost 4lbs in the last 3 weeks and I average under 20 carbs a day. Hoping exercise will help move things along.

Jen

Nancy LC Thu, Sep-13-12 19:21

Salt! You lose a ton of sodium when you are in ketosis. See the thread in my signature.

TudorRose Thu, Sep-13-12 23:24

For some reason I can't see your signature!?

Is sea salt okay? I will look into it.. thanks!

Artem Fri, Dec-14-12 11:43

Hi Jen!

Seems that you are in ketogenic state (less than 50g carbs a day, were you?).

Believe it or not, but YOU NEED carbs. You are doing endurance, hence you need glycogen in your muscles to function properly.
Fat is burned primarily at lower intensity activity (such as walking), that's why people willing to lose fat (and keep muscle), should concentrate on that sort of stuff and NOT jump on the treadmill.

Your glycogen stores are empty after you cycle, so you need to replenish them. There is a 30 minute window right after workout, when you should reload with some high GI meal (e.g. sweet potatoes). Try it for yourself and see how it works.

You will need some tinkering in order to figure out how much carbs a day you need. LC diet is a relative thing.

Good luck and Stay Healthy!

Nancy LC Fri, Dec-14-12 12:56

Oops... sorry, forgot to include my siggy.

MetaGirl Fri, Dec-14-12 17:20

Hmm I know some Zero carbers who compete in long road races, I am looking at your stats, you have lost 33 lb.s in what time? Great job but I wouldn't be suprised if there is an electrolyte imbalance, what kind of LC are you doing? I am not a doctor but those are factors you have to consider, how much did you weigh last time you trained and how long ago was that? Are you eating? There are so many factors involved in finding answers... all I can say is rest when tired, check your plan, whatever it is and nothing wrong with some good dirty sea salt on your steak...IMHO>>>

2007 Fri, Dec-14-12 18:23

i average 4 to 7 miles a day on the elliptical and/or treadmill and i stay under 20 carbs per day (lots of meat not very much veggies), and i have a regular regimen of B Vitamins including Biotin (the forgotten B), Iron, the Omegas 3 n' 6, plus a bunch others like vitamin E, Calcium, Womens One A Day, Evening Primrose, Vitamin C, and the kitchen sink...etc. :thup: :lol: :thup:

MetaGirl Fri, Dec-14-12 20:27

Yikes just realised that that post was from September.... someone really bumped that one :wave: ..... wonder how the training went? :lol:

peacelove Sat, Jul-20-13 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaGirl
Hmm I know some Zero carbers who compete in long road races, I am looking at your stats, you have lost 33 lb.s in what time? Great job but I wouldn't be suprised if there is an electrolyte imbalance, what kind of LC are you doing? I am not a doctor but those are factors you have to consider, how much did you weigh last time you trained and how long ago was that? Are you eating? There are so many factors involved in finding answers... all I can say is rest when tired, check your plan, whatever it is and nothing wrong with some good dirty sea salt on your steak...IMHO>>>

That is awesome. Zero carb and running races?? I am trying to keep my blood sugar stable and keep up my workouts but sometimes I notice I want more carbs after I workout??

Liz53 Sat, Jul-20-13 14:30

Once you are fully keto-adapted, glucose is not longer necessary, your body can run off of fat and ketones. He's the story of a low carb guy who has won at least a couple of 100 mile ultra-marathons: http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012...ff-volek-study/

The best way to keep blood sugar stable is to keep carbs low.

peacelove Sat, Jul-20-13 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Once you are fully keto-adapted, glucose is not longer necessary, your body can run off of fat and ketones. He's the story of a low carb guy who has won at least a couple of 100 mile ultra-marathons: http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012...ff-volek-study/

The best way to keep blood sugar stable is to keep carbs low.

Amazing. I love it.
Thanks for sharing.