Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   My P.L.A.N. Tool Support Forum (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Are artificial sweetners in my plan? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=396994)

nawchem Sun, Jun-07-09 11:19

Are artificial sweetners in my plan?

First time user, couldn't find them. Thx!

Kisal Sun, Jun-07-09 15:04

Are you doing Atkins? Your profile just says IF, and I can't offer advise about that.

I'll make the assumption that you are doing Atkins, however, since you posted your question on the Atkins forum. Dr. A. allows 3 packets of sweetener/day during Induction.

Have you read any of his books? If not, I encourage you to do so. They're enlightening. Among other things, he says not to go longer than 5 hours without food. :)

nawchem Sun, Jun-07-09 21:05

I'm sorry I should have written MY P.L.A.N. this sites food log. I tried typing artificial sweetner, splenda, aspartame but didn't come with anyway to add it to my daily foods.

nawchem Sun, Jun-07-09 21:30

Thx moderator! I never noticed this was here.

Kisal Sun, Jun-07-09 22:27

Ah! Now I understand what you were asking! Sorry I didn't catch on right away. :)

Those items aren't in the database. You'll have to add it as a Custom Food.

For Splenda Granular:
Serving Size...............Calories......Carbohydrates

1 tsp. ............................2.................0.5g
1 cup ...........................96...............24g

For Splenda Packets:
Serving Size.......................Sweet as.........Calories.......Carbs

1 gram or 3/8 tsp. (1 pkt)....2 tsp. sugar..........4.............0.9g
2 grams or ½ tsp. (2 pkts)...4 tsp. sugar..........8............ 1.8g

I would count aspartame and any other dry sweetener the same, unless the package label stated otherwise. The carbs and calories come from the fillers that are necessary when these super-sweet sweeteners are made into a dry form for packaging.

For Liquid sweeteners (Sweetzfree, DaVinci's, Torani's, Stevia, etc.), I just count 0g.

Does that help?

nawchem Mon, Jun-08-09 10:44

Thanks Kisal!! It took me a while to figure out that I'd asked the wrong question.

Now I can't find eggs. The only choice its giving me is scrambled eggs from frozen. Guess I have to be patient and mess around with it a bit.

Kisal Mon, Jun-08-09 11:21

:lol: When I first began with My P.L.A.N., I had to ask for help to find the listing for eggs, too! :lol:

Drop the s, and just use the keyword egg. ;)

FancyKat Mon, Jun-08-09 14:45

Don't use NutraSweet. If you use enought of it it can kill you. I deal with the effects daily. It does not go away either.

Tuvia is nice and more natural.

I don't want to see anyone get Aspartame disease.

Barb

nawchem Mon, Jun-08-09 17:25

Thx Kisal I got it!

FancyKat, I gave up diet soda to avoid aspartame, then I moved to a new state and bought a box of what I thought was sweetn low generic. I was horrified when I read the box, after a week of using it that it was aspartame. Everytime I have a cup of tea with 2 of those packets I get low blood sugar if I haven't eaten in a while. Same thing happened with the diet soda. It will be gone soon! My dr told me I should never have msg or aspartame because of my heart condition. It does weird things to me.

FancyKat Tue, Jun-09-09 19:06

Thanks. I am on a kind of a mini crusade about it.

I can't tell you how horrible I feel when I get MSG and it was the diet pop that started it all.

I have permanent damage and I can't even get the doc to see. She does get it MSG is a problem because it caused sky high BP.

An art friend has recently found out she has the same issues and is working to give up the diet pop now.

Just spread the word and if people stop using it they make take it off the market.

Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
Thx Kisal I got it!

FancyKat, I gave up diet soda to avoid aspartame, then I moved to a new state and bought a box of what I thought was sweetn low generic. I was horrified when I read the box, after a week of using it that it was aspartame. Everytime I have a cup of tea with 2 of those packets I get low blood sugar if I haven't eaten in a while. Same thing happened with the diet soda. It will be gone soon! My dr told me I should never have msg or aspartame because of my heart condition. It does weird things to me.

dianejeann Sun, Nov-21-10 22:41

that so helps for me. I do have liqued stevia as well as powder...so now I can use the liqued w/o counting carbs..correct?

nurse19464 Tue, Jan-10-12 13:53

weight ruler

I've been trying to get this ruler for ever.

nurse19464 Tue, Jan-10-12 13:58

Diet going pretty good

Diet going pretty good if I can just keep these carbs out of my mouth. :lol: