Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Three Minute Chocolate Cake (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=177020)

busybee Mon, Apr-05-04 15:56

Three Minute Chocolate Cake

Tried this yesterday and it was quick and quite good ... :thup:

1/4 cup almond flour ( I only had ground almonds, so used that)
1T Cocoa powder
1/4 t baking powder
4-5 packets Splenda

2T melted butter
1T water, or SF syrup ( I used DaVinci choc)
1 egg

In a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup, mix all the dry ingredients. Mix the melted butter with the egg and the SF syrup ~ add to the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap ... make small slit in wrap, with a knife to vent. Microwave on high for about 1 minute, 10 sec. Adjust as needed for your micro. When it comes out it looks a bit wet, but drys as it cools. ( I do not have a two cup measure, so I pit it in two little glass bowls, and it worked fine)

You can eat warm like a custard with whipped cream ( I added a few diced strawberries) or let it cool completely and frost with low carb icing of your choice.

Hope I am not repeating something already posted, but I can't recall ever seeing it here. Hope you enjoy it.

faywin Wed, Apr-07-04 12:39

This sounds great! Thanks for posting it. :)

I put in my recipe software and here's the nutrition info it calculated:

473 Calories; 45g Fat (79.4% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 249mg Cholesterol; 417mg Sodium.

jessicakjj Sat, Jun-19-04 20:06

:yum: MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm....... Will try it tomorrow!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

rloveman Tue, Jun-22-04 22:40

I just made this and it was pretty darn good, although I should have whipped some cream to go on top. I used ground almonds from the store, 4 packets of Splenda, and some marshmallow syrup instead of the water.

In fact, I just sent the recipe to my brother!

jessicakjj Wed, Jun-23-04 06:11

Marshmallow syrup? Isn't that full of sugar? I've never heard of marshmallow syrup. Is that the same as Marshmallow cream?

GeoUSA Wed, Jun-23-04 07:52

One T of natural peanut butter in the mix is a good variation as well.

BlitzedAng Wed, Jun-23-04 08:17

I made this to have with my morning coffee. What a nice change it was. Thank you very much for posting this. It will get alot of use in my home.

Angel

CarolynC Wed, Jun-23-04 08:25

It's a great cake! I like to use sour cream in place of some of the butter. It decreases the calorie count and gives the cake a more devil's food character. See:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=153934

webgyrl Sat, Jul-03-04 19:51

I made this tonight but used pecans instead of almonds - lower carb count!

Hubby and son and I all loved it and licked our bowls clean ;)

I've been grinding up my own pecans but I think I'll buy some pecan flour as the home-ground method makes for a "grittier" texture, not fine like you'd purchase in flour form. I use pecans for anything calling for almonds...for 1cup, there are 4 carbs (+/-) compared to almond's 12 (+/-). That's a pretty big difference! :-)

I'm going to try the other variations of this later next week. The vanilla and the pumpkin. Yummy!

jessicakjj Sun, Jul-04-04 07:26

How do you know that pecan flour has only 4 carbs per cup? What resource did you find that told you that? I have Atkins carb count book, and it says that pecans have more carbs than almonds.... please let me know. Thanks!

webgyrl Sun, Jul-04-04 10:15

Hi :-)

Looking on the packages and in fitday. Subtracting the fiber you get the 4 carbs per cup.

I buy 6 ounce (1.5 cups) packages (whole nuts) which have a total of 6 carbs for the whole package (24 carbs, 18 fiber). This yields 1.25 cups of "flour." So, in essence, I guess it's closer to 5 carbs, but still, less than almonds.

Here's the exact info from fitday.com.

Almonds, roasted: (unroasted is a difference of less than .5 carbs)
1 cup
Total Carbohydrate 27.76g
Dietary Fiber 16.49g
(this is a net carb count of 11.27)

Pecans
1 cup
Total Carbohydrate 14.97g
Dietary Fiber 10.37g
(this is a net carb count of 4.6)

I was looking for nuts in the store one day and looked at the info on ALL the nuts they had. Pecans were, by far, the lowest carbs. I detest nuts and especially tree nuts but you have to do what you have to do when you're LC'ing! lol.

jessicakjj Mon, Jul-05-04 06:43

Wow. Thanks for the info! I just made my own pecan flour yesterday. I recently bought the Ultimate Chopper which ground them into a very fine powder. I tried making the cake with that instead and it was just as scrumptious!

BlitzedAng Tue, Jul-06-04 17:04

GeoUSA...... Thanks for that idea. I liked the added flavor the PB gave. Very good.

Angel

shama Tue, Jul-06-04 21:45

Sounds mighty tasty, gotta try it! :)

GabrielleG Thu, Oct-28-04 13:27

welp I tried it and it was really good. Thanks for the recipe.