Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Can't do tomato sauce (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=80887)

theresa113 Fri, Jan-17-03 08:23

Can't do tomato sauce

Before low carbing, I would get heartburn any time I would eat tomato sauce. If I made speghetti sauce, Iwould cook it all day, add salt, sugar and wine and then I could have some without much discomfort. I thought it was due to my weight and everything else I was eating.

I have not had any tomato sauce since I started low carbing 7 months ago. I made Chili the other night (no beans, no onions, just meat and seasoning.) I used one can of no sugar tomato sauce. Since it was low in carbs I thought it would be OK. The heartburn came back. I guess I am either allergic to tomato sauce or my system just can't handle the acid.

However, it is no big deal since I am not someone who really misses tomato sauce in any way. Just curious, does anyone know of any good substitutions in case if I wanted to make Chili again or another dish that calls for tomato sauce?

By the way, I can eat tomatoes raw, such as in Salsa, with no ill effects.
:wave:

vbrowne Fri, Jan-17-03 08:29

I don't know of a substitute, but the same thing happened to me, I can't eat anything with tomatoe sauce anymore, I had a little salsa with taco meat last week and the heartburn just about killed me - no sweat though, it's no big deal if I eat it or not.

Vikki

theresa113 Fri, Jan-17-03 08:39

Vikki,

Congratulations on the getting married! Good to hear I am not the only one with a problem with tomato sauce. :)

A friend from work started Atkins right after he got engage last summer. He has lost 70lbs. He gets married in the middle of March. I am so looking forward to going to the wedding!

I am sure the next few months will be busy for you as you plan and get ready for your big day! You will be a beautiful bride! :)

vbrowne Fri, Jan-17-03 09:45

Theresa, thank you so much for your kind words. This is the second for both of us, so we're taking off to Vegas to get married so not nearly as much planning of #1 (thank goodness :p )

Have fun at your friend's wedding in March.

Vikki

pjl44 Fri, Jan-17-03 23:00

Sugar-Free Tomatoe Sauce??

Theresa113 - Just a question . . . I have looked everywhere for sugar-free tomatoe sauce and have yet to find it!! Where did you find it?

Pam

Karen Sat, Jan-18-03 01:17

You can use pureed roasted red peppers to make. well, roasted red pepper sauce and as a red, sweet and tart thickener for chili.

Quote:
I have looked everywhere for sugar-free tomatoe sauce and have yet to find it!! Where did you find it?

Check the brands in natural food stores. Catelli Classico line is sugar free, but I think it may onlyt be available in Canada.

Karen

dex Sat, Jan-18-03 14:48

This recipe was meant to be a pasta sauce, but it might work as a substitute tomato sauce.

http://www.byz.org/~sev/gm/archives/00000057.html

The recipe uses carrots and beets, so it's likely to be shade high on carbs (relatively speaking). Maybe run the ingredients through FitDay and see how it compares to tomato sauce?

theresa113 Sat, Jan-18-03 17:39

I read on here that Hunt's was sugar free. I read the ingredients and could not find any sugar. The ingredients are:

tomato puree, (water, tomato paste) water, less than 2% of: salt, citric acid, spice, tomato fiber, natural flavor.

Total carbs for a 1/4 cup serving is 3g. Less than 1 gram of fiber and 2 grams of sugar. I am guessing this is the natural sugar fron the tomatoes.

I could not find any that said big on the label "sugar-free" but this one did not list it as an ingredient (the rest did) and had the lowest in carbs.

Hope this helps, Pjl!

Dex, thanks for the recipe but I don't think I could do anything with beets and carots are out of the question for me. However, i sappriciate the thought. Thanks again!

:wiggle:

pjl44 Sat, Jan-18-03 18:12

Theresa113 - thanks a lot!! I did find tomato sauce that has less than 1 gram of sugar, so I guess I'll use that. I'll have to check out Hunts as well.

Pam