Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Buying Ketosis Sticks At Boots (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=125078)

Paulie-M Wed, Jul-23-03 15:33

Buying Ketosis Sticks At Boots

My hubby went to a branch of Boots in the centre of Newcastle today to buy some ketosis sticks. The sales girl asked him why he wanted them and if he was diabetic. When he said that he wasn't but was doing the Atkins diet, she said that the store manager didn't agree with the Atkins plan and had told the staff not to sell the sticks to anyone doing it! (What happens if you are diabetic sand LC'ing I don't know).

Undeterred, he went to another branch of Boots and bought the sticks without a problem. If we need any more, we'll know which branch to go to in future.

LittleAnne Thu, Jul-24-03 01:28

Interesting Pauline, double standards.

There have been quite a few posts here about Boots not selling ketostix to people unless they are diabetic!

kellyuk Thu, Jul-24-03 03:00

My local Boots were quite happy to sell them to non-diabetics but had sold out, I popped along to the nearby independent chemist and got a pack of 50 for £4.70.

GEMMA70 Thu, Jul-24-03 03:55

i had the same problem boots would not sell my the sticks cause im not diabetic

LisaUK Thu, Jul-24-03 04:17

Tell 'em you're buying them for someone who is! Try writing to Boot's head office and have a damned good moan at them. That's like saying they won't sell tampax because the store manager uses pads! Not that I use the daft things anyway.

kellyuk Thu, Jul-24-03 07:33

Or you could just say that you're a diabetic or that you're picking them up for someone who is...

SylviaUK Fri, Jul-25-03 16:07

To be honest, I don't bother with the dratted things anyway since I'm not doing Atkins :) A friend who was had a similar tale to tell about Boots - seems it's company policy not to sell them unless you claim to be diabetic :roll: Sounds crazy to me - who appointed the Sales Assistant in Boots as guardian of the nation's health?

lburnikell Sat, Jul-26-03 03:12

I went to boot and they wouldnt sell me them either said I could only get them on perscription a company policy by boots as they are dangerous If you are not diabetic espically if on atkins!! (what did she think i was going to do with them???
Went to Superdrug and got 50 for 4.99.

kellyuk Sat, Jul-26-03 10:33

LOL, I bet the chemists that are selling ketostix are loving Boots at the minute!

BillyGoatB Sun, Jul-27-03 16:28

Where in London can I buy Ketostix?

Froggiebro Sun, Jul-27-03 17:07

You shouldn't have to lie to the store people about why you want to purchase a certian product! It really is none of their darn business and I think it is highly intrusive of them to even ask! There aren't any of those stores where I live, but if it had happened to me I would have told the girl at the counter that it was none of her ~#$% business why I was buying the ketostix AND I would write a letter to the corporate office over this travesty. No one has the right to regulate to whom they sell their items to, this is downright discrimnation. NO one should stand for it. A Boycott of the store seems to be in order, and I don't mean a quiet one. I would make sure that everyone I knew, and plenty of stangers heard about these stores unfair practices.

LisaUK Mon, Jul-28-03 03:51

Bit of a weird one seeing as THEIR WEBSITE is selling the book!

LisaUK Mon, Jul-28-03 03:57

RIGHT! I don't use the sticks BUT I felt that I needed to know what's going on.

I just called their customer service department about this and once they said they didn't support it, I asked WHY and they put the phone down!

"You can contact our customer service team. If you want to talk about Boots stores, products or services, call United Kingdom 0845 070 8090, Republic of Ireland 1890 70 8091 between 8am to 6pm Monday - Friday, and 9am to 4pm Saturday."

Should you feel the need to call. I find it worrying that a well known and respected name like Boots will lose business over this.

I just called again and got a lovely girl who has logged my call and passed it on to the pharmacy superintendent. Here we go! :D

lburnikell Mon, Jul-28-03 05:04

good on ya lisa uk I hope it works!!
Lets hope she does pass your comments on!! and hasnt just told you she would!! Did you get her name? (We will fight them on the beeches!! lol)

LisaUK Mon, Jul-28-03 05:22

Yes I did. The pharmacists are covered by an Association and although employed by Boots have their own governng body and, as such, report to a Superindendant. I suggested that they were infringing on our human rights by stopping us buying a harmless product. They know that I DON'T use them but I have the right to, should I wish.

After all, they never stop ALREADY UNDERWEIGHT WOMEN from buying slimfast do they?