Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Cake - thought you died and went to cake heaven? you will when you make this (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=96795)

Rob Sat, Apr-05-03 07:38

thought you died and went to cake heaven? you will when you make this

FORGET THE REST ,YA GOTTA TRY THIS

INSTANT CAKE : 10 g carbs for whole cake :thup:

100g ground almonds
25g melted butter
1 Tbl Artificial Sweetener
2 large eggs beaten
1/2 tsp baking powder
flavouring of your choice eg: lemon , vanilla ,almond, cocoa etc

mix all together , pour into container and blitz in the micro for 2 minutes till it is risen and the top feels dry.

when cool , top with frosting of your choice .

I made a lemon curd ;

1 egg beaten
1 Tbl freshly squeezed lemon juice with zest
1 tbl Sweetener ( with dash of stevia or cyclamate to enhance sweetness)
1 oz melted butter

combine all and blitz in micro intermittently stirring until it resembles custard . Allow to cool in fridge and to stifffen more .

Spead on the cake and devour :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

Rob Tue, Apr-08-03 06:15

In my 1 and 1/2 years of low carbing , this is about the best treat that I have made and it sure does fill my naughtiness void .

Topped with lemon curd it is just awsome !!!!!!!

I oohed and aahed for hours afterwards

for the LEMON CURD : I changed the recipe slightly . To get rid of the nasty white eggy bits , use only the yellow of the egg . I also used thick not thin to improve the consistency and tweaked the sweetness with liquid cyclamate . mmmmmmm is all I can say

ckx4 Mon, May-05-03 16:19

Hi Rob,

Hey, its not bad! I think it needs to be a little sweeter for cake though. I tried it with sugar free pudding mix made with heavy cream as frosting. My husband loved it!

I made my own almond flour - even sifted it is more like almond meal, so the cake had the texture of a corn muffin. So this is my new breakfast treat, I cut the recipe in half and make one sort of big flat muffin out of it. Basically in US measurements:

2 TBS melted butter
1 egg
1/4 Tsp extract (vanilla or almond or ??)
1 TBS Splenda
mix well then add:
1/3 cup almond flour + 1/4 tsp baking powder mixed together
mix well and microwave for 2 minutes -just like you said!
amazing! Thanks for the idea!
Rosemary

smylpurty Mon, May-05-03 23:18

wow!! this sounds great :yum: I'm making this in the morning!!

2much2g1 Tue, May-06-03 08:01

:) This sounds so good.I am going to make it.The lemon curd sounds wonderful as well and I think it could be good on bread,muffins,cheese cake,with strawberries and whipped cream and crubled cookies,as a pie filling..yum!I love lemon curd
Thanks for sharing :thup:
2much :wave:

Rob Tue, May-06-03 13:06

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did . Especially the Lemon Curd , it blew me away .

But do try it using egg yellow only , and if you can ,leave it to chill before devouring . lololololol

wordlady Wed, May-07-03 06:35

The person you see on your left has absolutely NO DNA chromosomes for cooking. So...a kindergarter question. What is lemon curd?

2much2g1 Wed, May-07-03 06:52

Its almost like lemon pie filling but not as firm
Tart sweet and creamy
Used as a spread or topping
Thats the best I can do...I am sure someone else can describe it a bit better but I hope this helps
2much :wave:

Rob Wed, May-07-03 13:54

lemon curd is the filling for lemon meringue pie

wordlady Thu, May-08-03 10:13

Yummy :-) Thank you!!!

MrMsgirl Fri, May-09-03 10:24

Pecans instead of almonds?

Hi. I spotted your cake recipe, and it sounds delicious! :yum: I don't particularly react well to almonds :rolleyes: , so I was thinking maybe I could use pecans instead. Do think it really matters what type of nut you use?

Rachel :help:

Rob Fri, May-09-03 14:07

Hi Rachel ,

I think almonds are good because they are quite bland , afterall you dont want your cake to be tasting of brasil nuts or wallnuts for example . I think macadamia nuts would be quite good , but why dont you experiment if you dont like almonds ?

Rob

Rob Sun, May-25-03 12:34

i wouldnt use pecans

rob

Karla Sun, May-25-03 19:52

Rob, the lemon curd sounds great! I make cake using an almond flour pound cake recipe I found either here or at lowcarbluxury.com and I will try the curd on it. Thanks for the recipe.

And as to the pecans, I have made this cake with pecan flour and it was delicious, as it was with a combination of macadamia and cashew flours.

Karla

Rob Mon, May-26-03 12:37

Carla ,
I tell ya trhe lemon curd will knock you out . Just remember to use egg yolk only .

rob