Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Basic Vanilla Cookies (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=360961)

KikiKitty Mon, Jan-28-08 23:48

Why must all the good recipes have nuts! I really want to try this, but am trying to get back into induction right now. I guess I could be nice and make them for my husband;-)

BTW, I have cooked with desiccated unsweetened coconut meat with great results! You can buy unsweetened flakes and make it yourself, as well. I find that some recipes do better if you let them soak a bit before baking. I use unsweetened coconut flakes in homemade ice cream sometimes, too, and it comes out best if you soak it for an hour or more first. I usually soak mine in Almond Breeze, but plain water would work as well.

BetsyJ64 Tue, Jan-29-08 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiKitty
Why must all the good recipes have nuts! I really want to try this, but am trying to get back into induction right now. I guess I could be nice and make them for my husband;-)

BTW, I have cooked with desiccated unsweetened coconut meat with great results! You can buy unsweetened flakes and make it yourself, as well. I find that some recipes do better if you let them soak a bit before baking. I use unsweetened coconut flakes in homemade ice cream sometimes, too, and it comes out best if you soak it for an hour or more first. I usually soak mine in Almond Breeze, but plain water would work as well.

Kiki - I made these w/coconut flour instead of almond flour and they were wonderful! Came out much "cakier" - I don't care for the "greasiness and grittiness" of almond flour, so I often sub with coconut. Great recipe to adapt, for sure.

ElleH Tue, Jan-29-08 07:48

I never noticed my cookies were greasy or gritty, even using almond flour. I wouldn't eat them if they turned out like that. I use Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour. Maybe it's finer grind than others, I'm not sure. Just wanted to clarify that is you make them with almond flour, they won't neccessarily be gritty or greasy. Mine haven't been that way...they've been quite cakey and smooth-tasting. Just wanted to clarify!

BetsyJ64 Tue, Jan-29-08 08:13

No, I wasn't saying they WOULD turn out like that - just that when I have used it in the past, that was what *I* found. Elle, I also use the Bod's Red Mill Almond Flour - just an individual taste thing, I guess! :)

(Oh, and the poster said she didn't want to use nuts, which was why I suggested the coconut).

ElleH Tue, Jan-29-08 11:53

It's OK Betsy! I just wanted to clarify that I noticed any grittiness with this particular recipe in the OP? Did you? In fact I was shocked at how smooth and cakey they were. :)

KikiKitty Tue, Jan-29-08 12:12

But.... coconut is still a nut... right? I mean, it's right there in the name;-)

ElleH Tue, Jan-29-08 12:15

This site describes coconut as a seed. Seeds aren't allowed on induction either. :)

KikiKitty Tue, Jan-29-08 12:30

Wow, who knew? That's really fascinating! But yeah, no seeds either. Now if I can convince my husband to stop leaving cashews all over the house, maybe I'll make these cookies for him! (He knows I love cashews, and am trying not to eat nuts right now.)

BetsyJ64 Tue, Jan-29-08 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
It's OK Betsy! I just wanted to clarify that I noticed any grittiness with this particular recipe in the OP? Did you? In fact I was shocked at how smooth and cakey they were. :)

Hi Elle - actually, no, they did turn out pretty good with the AF! Maybe because so little was used. I made one of the recipes from Linda's site for coffee cake with, like, 2 cups of AF in it, and wanted to gag! :lol: Have you baked at all with CF? I just love it.

ElleH Tue, Jan-29-08 16:47

Actually, I have only made the 3 min chocolate cake and vanilla cake (which is basically this recipe baked in a ramekin) and these cookies...that's about it. I am just delving into the world of LC baking. I do want to try the pumpkin bars with it. I made them the first time with pecan meal and flax meal and I loved them!

Mai23 Wed, Jan-30-08 05:18

Hi Elle. These sound great and I'm going to give them a try but I can only find boxes of granulated Splenda here in England. Do you know how much is in a packet?

ElleH Wed, Jan-30-08 08:16

A packet of splenda would be 2 tsp of the granulated splenda. I would start with 4 tsp for the recipe and see if you can get by with less. The 3 packets of splenda was too sweet for me.

Mai23 Wed, Jan-30-08 14:26

Thanks Elle - that's very helpful. These will be the first cookies I've had since going low carb. Can't wait!

KikiKitty Wed, Jan-30-08 21:10

Well, I made them, a triple batch in fact, so we'd have a few to share on Friday with friends who don't eat sugar. The AF must make all the difference. I usually make my own AF in the food processor with blanched almonds, and my cookies look and taste nothing like yours. They look more like oatmeal cookies, and while they are very moist, they have a whole grain-bread-ish texture. I think I'm going to have to order some AF and try it again. They are good, though, just different than what I expected (or what your photo looks like.)

ElleH Thu, Jan-31-08 08:44

I've never been able to get the almond flour as fine, or as uniform in size, for that matter using my own FP, so I gave up and I buy it at the store--Bob's Red Mill brand. I still want to try to make my own coconut flour, though.

Kristine Thu, Jan-31-08 08:52

These are great. :thup: I've had them the last three days in a row. I bake them in my toaster oven for ten minutes and they come out perfectly.

I did a variation with an entire egg, plus 1 Tbsp coconut flour to absorb the extra liquid, and they came out nicely, though you could taste the coconut. The other two times, I used an egg yolk (and gave the white to the dog.)

Next time I have some coconut bark, I'm going to chop some of it up to add as chocolate chips. :devil:

karen 106 Fri, Feb-01-08 03:15

Hi
When you say 2 or 3 pkts of splenda, do you mean the whole box as 1 packet? Or just the sachets? THanks
Karen.

ElleH Fri, Feb-01-08 08:34

Packets. The small yellow packets.

LessLiz Fri, Feb-01-08 12:29

Elle, I wish you weren't so damned creative in the kitchen! These are fabulous.

ElleH Fri, Feb-01-08 15:08

I have heard that necessity is the mother of invention? :)

I "need" for items to be readily available in the stores that are near my home and I "need" for things to be very fast and easy to make!

There are a LOT of really interesting recipes here, but the bottom line is they contain ingredients that have to be ordered online, from companies that who knows if they will be around next week or next month. I think I'm a pretty average person who doesn't have a lot of time to devote to cooking, and I'm not going to go to the trouble of trying to procure those hard to find ingredients on a regular basis. One thing that I have learned, especially since being on this forum, is that I AM NOT ALONE. So I have to assume there are others who feel the same way I do!

Hence my desserts of choice:

3 min choc cake with chocolate icing
chocolate molten cake
rev roll cinnamon buns
rev roll based cakes (lemon, tiramisu so far)
flavored whipped creams
basic vanilla cookies
pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting
CO/butter bark

I can't say I "created" any of them...but I'm trying to show people that you really can make some things using easy to find ingredients that will make this WOE easier to stick to for life.

I've found good substitutes for potato chips with the fried provolone, and mashed potatoes with cauliflower puree. If I could find a *good* substitute for rice and pasta (zucchini ribbons or spaghetti squash don't cut it for me), I think I'd be set for life.

Finding a way to season the fried provolone to taste like Doritos would be a definite plus, too. :D

Raine'sMom Tue, Feb-05-08 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH

3 min choc cake with chocolate icing

Okay.... I'm in! This sounds fantastic! Could you post the recipe or a link to it? I think I may try a batch of your cookies right now! YUM!!!!!

AmaniNura Thu, Feb-14-08 20:33

Ok they are in the oven now. I did have one mishap. I sliced into my left index finger while opening my package of almond flour. :( Not a happy camper.

3 minutes to go!

glennette Thu, Feb-14-08 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiKitty
But.... coconut is still a nut... right? I mean, it's right there in the name;-)

I'd think that the coconut flour would be a better choice for induction rather than the almond flour. My reason for this is that almond flour raises my blood glucose while coconut flour will have no affect and even sometimes lower my blood glucose readings depending on the brand of coconut flour I use( some have 0 carbs).

I'll be trying Betsy's version tomorrow :)

ElleH Mon, Feb-18-08 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyJ64 in Elle's journal
Elle - I am here to say.....TRY THE CHOCOLATE COOKIES!!!! OH. MY. GOD. I did do them with sweetzfree and there was no bitter aftertaste you sometimes find w/cocoa and Splenda. And that topping??? To rival ANY real buttercream I have ever had/made!!! Best thing is that one is PLENTY - they are so rich!!

Hope you don't mind me copying your message here. I think people would want to know about a good CHOCOLATE variation! :)

BetsyJ64 Mon, Feb-18-08 16:26

Hey, no problem!! I forgot about coming here to this thread & posting!! :)

LiLiMarie Mon, Feb-18-08 17:30

Just tried this using Elle's recipe. So yummy! They make the house smell good too. ;)

TimesTwo Mon, Feb-18-08 19:30

So... Where's the recipe for the chocolate cookie and buttercream frosting variation?

BetsyJ64 Tue, Feb-19-08 05:43

The chocolate version is basically the recipe Elle posted (I use coconut flour instead of almond, though) and as much cocoa as you like (I used about 2 tsp.) Bake as usual.

The "buttercream" frosting is this:

Melt 2 T butter (I used salted)
Stir in 1 T cocoa powder, about 8 drops Sweetzfree, and about 1T of heavy cream. Put in the fridge for a bit to "set up", but not solidify. Take it out, and use either a handmixer or balloon whisk on a KitchenAid, and let it go and whip until fluffy. Frost the cookies with it.

TimesTwo Tue, Feb-19-08 12:31

Thank you! Sounds yummy.

AmaniNura Sat, Feb-23-08 17:56

Ok i made these last week, and they were ok, but didnt sweeten them enough to be considered a cookie.

I made a couple variations to the recipe and OMG.
Here is how it worked.

I mixed one whole egg with about a tablespoon of espresso powder and about 1/2 tsp of vanilla. I melted two small squares of unsweeten chocolate in 2 tbls of butter. I added enough splenda to the chocolate butter mixture to make it sweet. I then combined the 1/2 cup of almond flour with 1/4 tsp of cream of tarter and 1/2 of baking powder. Combined all ingredients and spooned onto baking sheet baked at 350 for 12 minutes. WOW!!!! They are great!

one is enough to curb the sweet craving