Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   The Running Thread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=439462)

pkadams Sun, Apr-01-12 15:55

Hi! I actually gave up dieting when I started running one year ago this month! I have lost a little weight since then and now I am back to this forum to help lose the last 10 lbs. I love running!

ferrygirl Sun, Apr-01-12 19:11

Hi, pkadams! Welcome back!

I'm really enjoying my new earbuds - they work really well. And I did my fastest 2 miles yesterday. I credit the earbuds (j/k)

Deoran Sun, Apr-01-12 20:07

ferrygirl - glad you found some new earbuds that work :)

Deoran Tue, Apr-03-12 09:39

What is everyone's average distance per week? Or longest run?

pkadams Wed, Apr-04-12 10:47

That will vary alot depending on where you are in your journey! you have to increase gradually or you will get injured and that sucks big time. I just happened to be looking at my mileage totals so I will tell you , but remember I have been running for a year, I weigh 139 today and I have a friend who is a trainer and has helped me a long the way. January (injured) 58 miles, Feb. 54 miles (cold, rainy, depressed) March ( training for 10 mile race) 78 miles. I did a half marathon in December and hurt my IT band and had to limit my runs to 4 miles for about 2 months until it healed. I'm hoping to increase to at least 20 miles per week. Even though it is so freakin hot and humid already in Southeast Texas! happy running! :)

Deoran Wed, Apr-04-12 13:00

It took me a really long time to build up to a 10k from a 5k but now adding the km is a lot easier. On average I run 30-40km a week.

TaraTea Thu, Apr-05-12 03:52

i've only been running for 2.5 months. i usually run around 10 miles a week in walk/run intervals. i'm trying to build endurance and speed, but it's going slowly. i run every other day and then i cross train on every other day except saturday.

btw, i tried the earbuds that wrap around the back of the head and they work so much better.

ferrygirl Thu, Apr-05-12 19:30

Cough...well, I'm not really near you guys at all. I do 30 min on the treadmill about 3x/week. I'm really looking forward to the snow going away so I can get in some outdoor runs and not have to worry about treadmill limits. The treadmill does help me to work on speed, though. :)

TaraTea Fri, Apr-06-12 02:02

i agree with you, ferrygirl. it's great to be able to run outside. it's started to warm up here, so i've been hitting the outdoor trails. i take one of the dogs and they love it.

i've decided i'm going to add a day of running up hills in preparation for a 10k that's coming up. i hope that doing different things will build endurance and speed faster.

pkadams Sat, Apr-07-12 20:31

Yes! Do hills and speedwork such as intervals. It will help your speed. Fartleks are good too. :D

TaraTea Sun, Apr-15-12 19:57

today was magical! all of the sudden i could run without stopping for most of my 3 mile run. i have a few walking breaks for 30 seconds here and there, but no more interval. i ran 90% of it. not getting discouraged about being slower than i'd like is really starting to pay off.

one more month until my first race. a 7k. i believe i'll be ready.

Deoran Mon, Apr-16-12 06:58

It is always an awesome feeling when you have great run days.

ferrygirl Mon, Apr-16-12 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraTea
today was magical! all of the sudden i could run without stopping for most of my 3 mile run. i have a few walking breaks for 30 seconds here and there, but no more interval. i ran 90% of it. not getting discouraged about being slower than i'd like is really starting to pay off.

one more month until my first race. a 7k. i believe i'll be ready.
Like!

I just signed up for my first 5K - I'm nervous and excited! It's in the middle of June.

TaraTea Tue, Apr-17-12 02:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrygirl

I just signed up for my first 5K - I'm nervous and excited! It's in the middle of June.

that's great! we should definitely share our experiences in this thread. i have a 7k trail run next month and then the warrior dash in june. if all goes well, i'm thinking 10k in september.

pkadams Tue, Apr-17-12 11:36

I'm excited for you ladies! I just ran a 10 miler last Sunday. It was awesome. Keep it up! You're doing great :)